• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

frustrated with hardware problems

PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
Windows 7- Home Premium
A couple of years back I built my own PC and it was running fine until I moved to a new house and it got surged (I know stupid of me, but it's now properly protected)

It wouldn't boot at all after that so I went out and brought new RAM, tried that out on my existing motherboard and CPU but to no avail. So I saved up and grabbed my self a new motherboard and CPU and it started booting again, but It would give me a brief blue screen death which I couldn't read before it reset itself. So I grabbed myself a new SATA hard drive. I tried installing XP pro on there and when it got to the registering components stage it hit the same blue screen death, but hung there this time giving me this error message:

IRQL_NOT_LESS_THAN_OR_EQUAL

and a stop code which I looked up and found a non-specific hardware problem, after googling that error I found people had dusted off RAM, taken out and reinserted graphics cards to get it to work, so I tried taking out my graphics card and running off the onboard graphics and running off both my sticks of RAM individually, doing a complete format and reinstall of XP pro on the new hard drive each time, all to the same end result.

In the end I narrowed it down to either the RAM or the motherboard/CPU. So I took the motherboard and CPU back and grabbed new ones from misco.co.uk which arrived on Monday, which I put into my machine and plugged everything into and guess what.... same result again! So I went out and grabbed 2 new sticks of RAM yesterday and replaced that and still no joy!

I'm really not sure what to try now, I'm pretty sure all my BIOS settings are right, apart from the old graphics card, hard drive and CD/DVD RW and the case everything is brand new and should be compatible according to the specs.

ONY

Free PC Help Contributor
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
Hiya and Welcome to Free PC Help vampy.
Please be patient and someone will be along to assist you.

JEBWrench

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Operating System
Windows XP - Media Center Edition
What about the Power Supply? That's often a major source of headaches after a surge. Do you have another one available to work with?

PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
Windows 7- Home Premium
Should have mentioned this really, the PSU went when it was surged and was the first thing replaced, and the new one is a higer output than the old one and if anything the system should be using less power now, especialy after I had taken the graphics card out.

I don't have another one handy to try out, but I'm tempted to grab another to shove in as this is one of the very few things which has remained constant now through all the different set ups I've tried

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
Windows Vista - Home Premium
Wow. Will all those purchased parts, you could have bought a new computer.:)

How about the graphics card?

You can also temporarily remove any third party devices (especially USB).

JEBWrench

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Operating System
Windows XP - Media Center Edition
He pretty much has bought a new computer Seth.

Googling about, it appears quite possible that your graphics card could be causing a conflict. So if the new motherboard has integrated graphics, try installing without the old graphics card in, then try removing the drivers for the integrated unit, and then try installing the old graphics card.

Secondly, try your sticks of RAM individually, as even now and again a new stick of RAM can be faulty.

PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
Windows 7- Home Premium
I have tried a full instal of xp pro on the new hard drive (preceeded by a full format) without the graphics card, but that was with the second motherboard+CPU and RAM all of which has been changed since though so I'll give that another whirl when I get back from work tonight.

Thanks for the advice so far guys

vampyrusddg

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
Windows 7- Home Premium
Woohoo, finally up and running.

Took out the graphics card, old hard drive and one stick of RAM, did a full format and then reinstalled XP pro and I'm up and going. Since that I've put another stick of memory in and plugged back in my old hard drive and it's all still going.

I now have an issue accessing information on the old hard drive to get all my old files across, but I'll post a new thread in the software forum if I can't google up a solution myself.

Thanks for the suggestions, looks like my frustrations had got the better of me;)