• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Games on a new PC

Maria

FPCH New Member
Hi,

I have just bought a new PC with Microsoft XP, Intel 82865G, Pentium 4, CPU 2-80 ghz, virtual memory 284mb, 512 mb ram memory, 40gb hard drive with analog monitor.

I am a complete novice so am trying to bring myself into the 21st century.

I have bought Settlers, Rise of Empires, and it does not work on my machine. Could you please tell me what else I need to have in order for this to work.

Also, if I was to buy any games that require Windows 98, will they work on my machine without any problems?

Thanks for the help.

danzil

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Operating System
98 games will most likely run in compatiblility mode.you just need to find the main exe and rigt click it then click compatibilty (thats if they dont run).
please can you post your system spec.
here is the spec for your "rise of empires game"
Minimum specifications:
Microsoft® Windows® XP
PC with 1.4 GHz equivalent or higher processor
256 MB of system RAM
4.5 GB available hard disk space
32x speed or faster CD-ROM drive
64 MB video card with hardware transform and lighting required
Sound card, speakers or headphones required for audio
Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing device
56.6 Kbps or better modem for online play
if they dont meet these or indeed do post back.
update your graphics card driver and update direct x.
post back your spec to make sure
regards
danzil