• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

ge force 6800 gs to msi 8600 gts

Icarus103

FPCH New Member
Hi Guys

i currently have the above 6800 gs graphics card and want to upgrade to the 8600gts and am not sure what i require to run it can anyone help please.

Thanks

Icarus

danzil

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Operating System
that should run exactly the same as your card you have now.....it may need extra power but you will get an adaptor with the new card.
just be aware of what slot you buy it for ie agp or pci/e
kind regards
danzil

Icarus103

FPCH New Member
Hi danzil

I have already had my power supply up graded so that should be fine, my mother board the trigem im8459(imperial) came standard with my pc which is the 770 emachines, still dont quite understand what you mean by agp or pci/e can you pls explain what this means.

Thanks

icarus

danzil

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Operating System
agp pci and pci express are all different type of slot on your motherboard.
agp is mainly used for graphics card.(emachines i gues that is what you would have).
pci is what you use for all other devices but you can use a graphics card in them too.
and pci express (pci/e) is the newest graphics slot out to date (i believe) this runs up to twics the speed of agp.
i hope that helps clear up your question a little.
pci is usually a white slot.
agp is brown
and pci express is usually white also but looks like a mix of pci and agp...
unless you have a nice colourfull board then it could be any colour
regards
danzil