• Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

• Due to the complexity and risks involved our formally trained malware staff will be the only ones allowed to help with malware removal advice. Thank you.

Getting PopUps from watchtvnow.com

Starbuck

Admin & Security Team
PC Experience
Very Experienced
Hi Skyclad,

Do I need to reRun Rogue Killer after performing the missed step..?
No, you shouldn't need to.
Running the reset will turn Chrome back to how it was originally when first downloaded.
Because 'watchtvnow' is known to change some of Chromes settings, this should reset any alterations.
The only other thing you didn't reply to was...
Are you running Chrome by clicking on a Desktop shortcut?
The reason I asked this is because 'watchtvnow' has been known to alter the setting for Chrome by adding its self to the Startup Target.
If you are using a shortcut to start Chrome, you should check this.

Right-click Google Chrome shortcut on the Desktop.
Select Properties.
Target text field under Shortcut tab should only contain the path to .exe file, put in quotes (example: “C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe”).
If there’s a URL after the closing quotation mark, delete the URL.
Click OK.

chroprop.PNG

Repeat the steps with Chrome shortcuts on the taskbar at the bottom of the screen if you have one (for this one you may have to right-click on the shortcut, then right-click on Google Chrome and then click on Properties).

Skyclad

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Hi Skyclad,

No, you shouldn't need to.
Running the reset will turn Chrome back to how it was originally when first downloaded.
Because 'watchtvnow' is known to change some of Chromes settings, this should reset any alterations.
The only other thing you didn't reply to was...
The reason I asked this is because 'watchtvnow' has been known to alter the setting for Chrome by adding its self to the Startup Target.
If you are using a shortcut to start Chrome, you should check this.

Right-click Google Chrome shortcut on the Desktop.
Select Properties.
Target text field under Shortcut tab should only contain the path to .exe file, put in quotes (example: “C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe”).
If there’s a URL after the closing quotation mark, delete the URL.
Click OK.

View attachment 1820

Repeat the steps with Chrome shortcuts on the taskbar at the bottom of the screen if you have one (for this one you may have to right-click on the shortcut, then right-click on Google Chrome and then click on Properties).
Hello Starbuck..
I'm please to say that after performing the step that I omitted earlier, I have not seen a popUp since.. So glad this is the case..!
Regarding your question about a Chrome shortcut on the desktop, I do not have one.. I always log into Chrome from the taskbar... I performed the steps above you indicated on the taskbar Chrome icon and did not see a URL after the chrome.exe.. I'm hoping that we're in the clear on this popUp issue now, but please let me know if there are further steps to take.. Thankfully, things appears good at this point..... Awaiting any further instructions on this, and as always thanks for your help!

Starbuck

Admin & Security Team
PC Experience
Very Experienced
Hi Skyclad,

I always log into Chrome from the taskbar... I performed the steps above you indicated on the taskbar Chrome icon and did not see a URL after the chrome.exe.
:thumb:
I'm please to say that after performing the step that I omitted earlier, I have not seen a popUp since
That's good to hear.
Give it a day or so to be sure, but if all is well you can remove the tools we've used and clear the MalwareBytes quarantine folder ( if there's anything there)

Step 1
Restart MalwareBytes.
Click on the Quarantine tab
Tick to select all items (if any there ) and then click the Delete button.
Close MalwareBytes.

Step 2
FRST can now be removed:

Right click on the FRST icon and select delete.
Right click on any fixlog.txt or fixlist.txt files and select delete.
Navigate to: C:\frst and delete the frst folder

Empty your recycle bin ( to fully remove FRST)

Step 3
RogueKiller AntiMalware can be uninstalled from the uninstall list: (if you want to remove it)
It can be left and used as an on demand scanner if required.

Glad I was able to help.

Safe surfing. Computer_addict__by_Sinister_Starfeesh.gif

Skyclad

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Hi Skyclad,

:thumb:
That's good to hear.
Give it a day or so to be sure, but if all is well you can remove the tools we've used and clear the MalwareBytes quarantine folder ( if there's anything there)

Step 1
Restart MalwareBytes.
Click on the Quarantine tab
Tick to select all items (if any there ) and then click the Delete button.
Close MalwareBytes.

Step 2
FRST can now be removed:

Right click on the FRST icon and select delete.
Right click on any fixlog.txt or fixlist.txt files and select delete.
Navigate to: C:\frst and delete the frst folder

Empty your recycle bin ( to fully remove FRST)

Step 3
RogueKiller AntiMalware can be uninstalled from the uninstall list: (if you want to remove it)
It can be left and used as an on demand scanner if required.

Glad I was able to help.

Safe surfing. View attachment 1821
Hi Starbuck!
Sorry for the delay in responding back, but am still monitoring things here.. After proclaiming victory earlier, I got a few popUps again.. I repeated the previously omitted step once again, and things seem clear for right now.. Still monitoring! If no further popUps show up in the next day or so, will perform the above to clean up.. Keeping fingers crossed....
As always thanks for your outstanding help...!
S

Skyclad

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Did you install any 'free' programs at all prior to the pop ups returning?
I do recall clicking on something on Facebook in order to view a particular page I believe it was (can't recall for sure the exact scenario).. Didn't raise a red flag at the time, but it did later after thinking about it all... Shortly after that the popUps came back... Won't make that mistake again.....:/

Starbuck

Admin & Security Team
PC Experience
Very Experienced
Sounds like you have found the cause then.

The good news is that just cruising Facebook, reading your friend’s posts in your newsfeed and updating your timeline can’t give you a virus.
However, many posts include links to other pages, either to read an article, view a video, get a coupon, etc…
Many links on Facebook, especially those posted to open community fan pages, will send you to pages infected with viruses or malware and there’s where you run into trouble.