• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Graphics card question

Spikey*

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
Windows Vista - Home Premium
I am thinking of getting a new graphics card and i wanted to know if a GeForce 9800 gtx + will work on this comp:
Manufacturer: HP-Pavilion
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
Memory: 3070MB RAM
Hard Drive: 489 GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT
Monitor: HP w2007 Wide LCD Monitor
Sound Card: Speakers (Creative SB X-Fi)
Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6001) Service Pack 1 (6001.vistasp1_gdr.100218-0019)
Motherboard: Intel Q35/Q33/P35/G33 Intel 82801IR (ICH9R) ASUSTeK Computer INC. Burbank

Thanks for the help :thumb:

Dalo Harkin

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Elite PC Guru
Operating System
If its running a Quad then it should have a PCI-E slot or two.
so any PCI-E card will be fine, BUT check that your PSU has both the connectors needed and the Wattage to cope with a new card.

Spikey*

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
Thank you. im slightly depressed that my system info wont tell my what PSU i got so i have to take the cover off to find out :/

Jelly Bean

FPCH Distinguished Member
Operating System
Windows 10
As it is a HP I would proberly upgrade the PSU,HP usaly come with a standard low wattage PSU.

But yes take the side off the PC while powered off and remove from power outlet and take a peek inside.

Spikey*

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
I take it, it is very important to make sure it is off and unplugged?

Dalo Harkin

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Elite PC Guru
Operating System
You can leave it on, just dont stick your fingers in it :eek:
also if it has an 8500GT and you are looking at a 9800GTX+ then I would have thought there was enough juice in the PSU to cope with the upgrade, but better to check just incase :)

Spikey*

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
Okay so i took the cover of and was looking inside it and the psu was like in a metal case inside the whole case and i was afraid to to uncover it in case i couldnt screw it back on but i looked on the bottom of the whole case and i found this and i dont know if it means anything:

AC Input 100-127v ~ 8.0A

50/60Hz 200-240v ~ 4.0A

does that mean anything?

Spikey*

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
Eh god just hates me doesnt he? well i guess later on ill look at it again, but it was screwed iside a metal case with the wires coming out a small hole. any suggestions other than unscrewing or is that my best bet?

Spikey*

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
negative. its a big black one that HP sent with the PC