• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Graphics card

Grune

FPCH Member
hi i was just wondering if anybody can help me, i'm trying to play a game and it pops up saying "unable to initialise Direct Draw" does anybody know what this means and how to solve it

many thanks

merciarich

FPCH Member
Grune said:
hi i was just wondering if anybody can help me, i'm trying to play a game and it pops up saying "unable to initialise Direct Draw" does anybody know what this means and how to solve it

many thanks
Hey Grune, nice to hear from you again.

I have heard quite a few things about Direct Draw and since I am a regular gamer, I too have these problems.

Direct draw seems to have a flaw with most 256MB video cards and it is recommended that you update your drivers either from http://www.ati.com or http://www.nvidia.com depending on which card you use. As far as I am aware, these are the only two make of cards affected. If yours is a different make, go to your video card manufacturer's website. Both ATI and nVidia have extensive support pages and download pages, just select which model of card you have and download the updates. Restart your PC and all should be well and good.

Another thing to do is ensure you have the latest version of Direct X from Microsoft, click the link to go to the Direct X site http://www.microsoft.com/windows/directx/default.aspx

Let me know how you get on

Regards,

merciarich

Grune

FPCH Member
my cards about 10 years old lol but it still plays 2days games until recently when my pc monged and had to do a fresh install. now it wont play american conquest which is the game i'm tryin to play and it wont play nascar sim racing which it says something about a cube.

merciarich

FPCH Member
Grune said:
my cards about 10 years old lol but it still plays 2days games until recently when my pc monged and had to do a fresh install. now it wont play american conquest which is the game i'm tryin to play and it wont play nascar sim racing which it says something about a cube.
American Conquest is the game that causes the most issues with Direct Draw. You need to update your drivers or get a new card.

Regards,

merciarich