• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Graphics problem

Hidbigan

FPCH New Member
Hi everybody,

Problem: I inadvertantly left my PC on standby for 3 days. Whenever I boot the machine up I receive a message stating that the graphis system sentinel has found that the graphics processor is not receiving enough power. It has therefore lowered the power output of the processor in order to protect the machine. Now whenever my son plays his online game the graphics crash with a vertical display of colomns of multicoloured squiggly lines.

Does anyone know how to get the graphics card processor to operate at its full power?? Windows XP with NVidia 6800 Ultra graphics card.

Much appreciated.

Jamey

FPCH Member
Hm, it sounds like your graphics card could possibly be damaged. Has it got a separate 4-pin molex power connector on it? If so, you may need to plug in one of your power supply's connectors into it. Otherwise, I've done a bit of Googling on the matter and it seems like either your graphics card is on its way out or you need a PSU (power supply) upgrade.

To find out the wattage of your PSU, turn your machine off, unplug it and take the side panel off. It will be written on the sticker on the side of the PSU (the box where the power cable goes in). Post the wattage (e.g. 300W, 400W) back here.

Hidbigan

FPCH New Member
Hi Jamey,

thanks for the swift reply. :)

There is no seperate 4 pin molex power connector. The wattage of my PSU is 350 watts total combined.

The graphics seem fine most of the time, but crash only now and again. Just seems a bit of a coincidence that the machine was on standby for so long, rather than completley shut done.

Cheers