• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Halo-Fatal Error

Steve192

FPCH New Member
Well, I've been trying a bunch of different things to fix this. Whenever i try to start Halo Trial, it comes up with an error saying:

A problem occured during initializing DirectDraw. Hardware acceleration maybe disabled, please run DXDIAG.

Under that it says:

Machine info: 1000 MHz 384MB

Steve192

FPCH New Member
Recently ran ddraw and direct3D tests, Direct3D failed all tests!!!
1.Direct3D 7 Test Results: Failure at Step 8(Creating 3D Device): HRESULT = 0x88760eb (error code)
2.Direct3D 8 Test Results: Failure at Step 8(Creating 3D Device): HRESULT = 0x8876086a (3D not available)
3.Direct3D 9 Test Results: Failure at Step 8(Creating 3D Device): HRESULT = 0x8876086a (3D not available)

Edit: Oh yeah, here is machine info:

Device

Name: NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400 (microsoft
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip Type: GeForce MX/MX 400
DAC Type: Integrated RAMDAC
Approx. Total Memory: 32.0 MB
Current Display Mode: 1024 x 768 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor: Gateway EV700B

Drivers

Main Driver: nv4_disp.dll
Version: 6.14.0010.5673 (english)
Date: 8/4/2004 2:56:44
WHQL Logo'd: Yes
Mini VDD: nv4_mini.sys
VDD: n/a
DDI Version 9 (or higher)

I am using Windows XP Home Edition

H0885

FPCH New Member
Solution - don't try to play Halo, play a decent game. ^.^

Seriously though, did you run a DXDIAG as suggested? Can't remember what options are on the DXDIAG but perhaps there's a hardware acceleration option.