• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Hard Drive Problems

Persian

FPCH Member
Hi guys am in a mess at the mo i taken my hard drive out to try out somthing and i had 3 harddrives that look the same near me and i got confused which one was mine and am trying all the drives but am just getting a blue screen with an error sayinng check your hard drives? And the worst thing is i was messing with the master and slave pins aswell please guys tell me were does the pins have to go please please.

Many Thanks

W

Wolfeymole

Hello Persian

Welcome to Free PC Help

Disconnect any cd/dvd drives.

Attach a hard drive on the very end of the ide cable and make sure the jumper is set to either cable select or master, boot up.
If windows is not found repeat this procedure until it is.

Persian

FPCH Member
You are a star thank you. I know it sounds stupid but what cable do i need to conect the hard drive in ? The cd rom or dvd

Many Thanks

W

Wolfeymole

This is an IDE cable Persian.

If you have one like this then attach the Blue end to the board and the Black end to your hard drive.
If your cable is not coloured in this way then notice the smaller gap between the White connector and the Black connector.
Attach the connector that is appears to be the one shorter away from the middle connector to your hard drive.

Persian

FPCH Member
Your great matey thanks. Done but now am getting an error saying disk boot failure,insert systerm disk and press enter?

Persian

FPCH Member
Bloody hell lol i rebooted and know it says you can attempt to reapir this file by starting windows setup using the original setup CD-Rom

W

Wolfeymole

So now it seems your windows installation is faulty.
Attach your cdrom drive, set as Slave to the middle connector and reboot.

Persian

FPCH Member
Mate thanks for your time cheers. Yeah i set it to cable select and its came up to start windoes normally and i pressed enter but am waiting for about 5 mins know?

W

Wolfeymole

Ok let me get this right.

You attached a drive that appears to have windows on but is not working properly and you intimate that you also have windows installed on the other drives.

Would this be correct?

Persian

FPCH Member
no matey i know 1 does not work at all and i know one had a error but i know mine was working fine before i messed with the jumpers.

Persian

FPCH Member
Ok i just see my cd and dvd rom disconected and see my hard drive in master and its saying disk boot failure,