• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Hard Drive Upgrade....won't work

blueboy

FPCH New Member
Hey,

I have a new maxtor hard drive. I've installed it in my hp d530 desktop. It recognizes the new hard drive on boot and i accept changes to the system but then all i get is a blank screen. Not even the xp splash screen. I am using xp pro. The old hard drive is seagate.
I have tried changing the jumper pin config, but no joy.

Anyone know about compatability with hp/maxtor

hope someone can help, thanks

maynardvdm

FPCH Long Term Member
Hi

You must first partition the new drive and then format it.

Do you want to use the new drive as the one with your windows on or as a secondary slave drive?

blueboy

FPCH New Member
My Apologies....my "new" hard drive already has windows xp on it from another machine as i have got this from another machine. It is a straight swap with old hard drive

Thanks

W

Wolfeymole

Hi Blue

Hey if it was only that simple.
What's happening here mate is that the hardware parameters on the Maxtor do not match the hardware you have in the HP Desktop, that's why it's not loading.
Microsoft think your pirating you see.
When you first install XP and activate it kinda sends your hardware profile back to MS, if you then change anything like say a mother board MS thinks you have installed XP in another pc and they start growling hence no start up.
You could ring MS and tell them your systems blew up apart from the hard drive and they may let you reinstall it again, but I doubt it.
If you wiped the Maxtor and reinstalled XP and went to activate MS would decline you because, as I have said before, the hardware does not match.

Hope this helps