• Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Hard Drive Vanished...Help! :(

videovinnie

FPCH Member
I recently reinstalled windows xp and went from SP1 to SP2. I had an extra drive that was I believe 160gb but was only showing about 128 or so under SP1.

After SP2 was installed I wanted to make the missing hd space available for video capture. I also noticed it was using FAT and I wanted to change that to NTFS.

Anyway in the process I had to partition the drive as one large space and one very tiny one. After the partition and format everything looked great but then my drive vanished I think after a restart.

Am I now permanantly driveless? Or can I do something to recover it? I dont have a clue where to start. Thanks to all for any help you can offer. vv

W

Wolfeymole

Hello Vinnie

Welcome to Free PC Help

Your drives vanished eh?
Or has it just vanished from My Computer?
Right click My Computer and click Manage then click Disk Management.
Tell us what you see then.

Or are you saying the Bios cannot see it?

videovinnie

FPCH Member
Hey Wolfey, that was it!

it's there, just no drive letter...hehehe...how stupid of me :D

it's formatting (again) now. Thanks for the help Wolfey, a lesson I wont soon forget...

and for the welcome to the boards. Im sure with my pc ignorance I will visit here pretty often. :) vv