• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Harddrive not present

thebigmd

FPCH New Member
PC Experience
Very Experienced
Operating System
Windows XP - Home Edition
Hi guys basically i have a dell gx280 it was working fine although every now and then it went to the blue screen of death and when turned back on a dell screen appeared with no options just saying like dell optilex 2008 or something meaningless, i fixed this by unplugging and plugging back in the hard drive SATA cable

Now it just says no boot device found and in the bios it says sata harddrive (not present), nothing has seemed to fix this so i bought a new sata harddrive but no luck it still says not present. im thinking of buying a new sata cable but dont want to buy it if it wont fix the problem. Thanks and can give any more information if requested, much appreciated.
Rob

Plastic Nev

Deceased - sadly missed
Hi and welcome to Free PC Help.

On the face of it it does look like the cable may be faulty.
However the new hard drive puzzles me, I ***ume you just bought the drive and installed it, did you either try to install Windows, or did you try to format the drive?
What options came up on screen with the new drive fitted?
If the BIOS at that point said no drive, it is pretty certain to be the cable, or maybe a fault on the mother board at worse.

Nev.

thebigmd

FPCH New Member
PC Experience
Very Experienced
Operating System
Windows XP - Home Edition
The cable is fine and no damage from what i can see. once i installed the new harddrive before installing windows i checked in the bios to make sure it was connected and it wasn't. I will buy a new cable tomorrow then as this seems to be the last option. Thanks