• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Hardware or Software Problem?

Tony

FPCH New Member
I keep getting the blue screen of death. If I send a report to MS I'm sometimes told it's a hardware fault, sometimes I'm told it's a driver problem. I have updated the graphics driver to no effect. I have also downloaded a Drive Fitness Test from IBM (PC has an IBM hard disk) - it reports all OK. I run AVG and Spybot regularly. Can anyone suggest what I should do next? I was thinking of renewing the hard disk as it does make some strange noises these days - will I be wasting my time and money? Can anyone suggest where I can get detailed instructions on how to do this as I am not an expert!

PC is about 5 years old - Athlon 1700+XP. I run Windows XP.

Thanks out there!

Tony

Jamey

FPCH Member
I think the best thing to do is reduce your computer to its 'bare bones'. That is, take out everything from the case except: power supply, motherboard, processor and cooling fan, one stick of RAM (memory), your main hard drive and a graphics card. If you have an onboard card, take out any AGP or PCI-E graphics card too.

This will reduce the possibility of whatever hardware may have been causing the BSOD. Now I recommend you run Sandra Lite with its own stress test routine. Make sure you set it to its most demanding setting. If you have a basic hardware problem, it wil soon surface and the current hardware being stress tested will be the cause. If no BSOD occurs, gradually add each piece of hardware back.

Sorry it's such a length procedure, but it should work well.