• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

hd recovery

gitrpikr59

FPCH New Member
Hello, My first try at this,
My niece's computer stopped running, I thought it was the power supply so I replaced it but no good,
Maybe I got a bad one but anyway, I would like to save info off her hard drive using another computer,
Any suggestions would be appreciated, Thanks

Jamey

FPCH Member
You need to remove her hard drive and plug it into another computer with a working operating system. Then you boot this computer and copy the needed files from your niece's to its own hard drive.

If its a Serial ATA (newer) type of drive, it is a simple plug and play operation. If its the older type of drive, a "parallel ATA" drive, you will have to set it as a "slave" with the jumper at the back of the drive.