• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

help! help! my pc reboots then shuts down!!

geezer1000uk

FPCH New Member
PC Experience
PC Illiterate
Operating System
Windows XP - Home Edition
hello, i have a desktop pc(packard bell) which is about 6 years old, had new hard drive fitted about 6 months ago, loaded with xp home. pc as been fine, 2 days ago i was just checking my emails, i closed down the web browser ie8, and the pc shut itself down and then reboots itself. it will load up my desktop page with all the icons then straight away it will shut down and reboot in a continuous loop. i have started it up in safe mode and it stays on fine, i have tried all the options in safe mode, but still no joy. i do not know what to do from this point, can anyone help me please? i also need to rescue all my photo's which i can access through safe mode, but it will not let me copy them to disc, so is there anybody who could give me some advice?

KenB

Administrator
Hi,

Boot up in Safe Mode.
Start > Run ...type in ...devmgmt.msc ....OK

Are there any yellow exclamation marks in Device Manager ?
If so please supply details.

PC Experience
Elite PC Guru
Operating System
Windows Vista - Home Premium
It doesnt sound like a hardware issue as its fine in safe mode

If it runs fine in Safe Mode (safe mode is a basic startup form where minimal drivers are loaded) then I would suspect that something you have recently installed to be causing you an issue, have you installed and new programs or updated any recently?

geezer1000uk

FPCH New Member
PC Experience
PC Illiterate
Operating System
Windows XP - Home Edition
It doesnt sound like a hardware issue as its fine in safe mode

If it runs fine in Safe Mode (safe mode is a basic startup form where minimal drivers are loaded) then I would suspect that something you have recently installed to be causing you an issue, have you installed and new programs or updated any recently?
hello, i have taken my hard drive out and tried it in another pc, and it does the same thing, would you thinl its a virus or is would their be some sort of conlfict?

PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
Sounds crazy but mine was doing it also and I went into the BIOS and changed the amount of voltage going to the RAM, from 2.5 to 2.8 and haven't had it happen since.

seedy21

Super Moderator & Security Team
PC Experience
Pc Guru
i would run a disk check on your computer with the Xp cd or even in safe mode

Got to start, run and chkdsk

this may fix your problem

Seedy21