• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

help monitor wont turn on

danclare

FPCH Member
can anyone help me please im new to this so bear with me please i have a computer but when i turn it on my monitor will not come on i know its not the monitor as it dose it with them all can any one help please:confused:

JEBWrench

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Operating System
Windows XP - Media Center Edition
Does the monitor's power light change at all? Most monitors, when there's no signal from the cable, still display a (usually red or yellow) light on or near the power button.

What kind of video card do you have in your system?

danclare

FPCH Member
Does the monitor's power light change at all? Most monitors, when there's no signal from the cable, still display a (usually red or yellow) light on or near the power button.

it just stays orange but if i disconect it from my tower it turns green and that card i have not got a clue

danclare

FPCH Member

how do i find out wot video card i have:confused:

JEBWrench

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Operating System
it just stays orange but if i disconect it from my tower it turns green and that card i have not got a clue
And you say this problem persists with other monitors, so most likely, it's a graphics card problem (in my opinion, no doubt later Seth will tell me it wasn't).

Do you have any system specs? If it's a pre-built system, even a Make/model, etc. would help. Having more would make it easier for us to diagnose your problem.

danclare

FPCH Member
And you say this problem persists with other monitors, so most likely, it's a graphics card problem (in my opinion, no doubt later Seth will tell me it wasn't).

Do you have any system specs? If it's a pre-built system, even a Make/model, etc. would help. Having more would make it easier for us to diagnose your problem.
i know if i wonted more ram i would need to get p100 or something like that lol i have the casing off any idea where to look for graphic card or anything i can go look then

JEBWrench

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Operating System
i know if i wonted more ram i would need to get p100 or something like that lol i have the casing off any idea where to look for graphic card or anything i can go look then
If it's not integrated, then it'll be the card connects to the motherboard that you plug the monitor into.

JEBWrench

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Operating System
the graphics card is nvidia geforce 2 i think anyway if that helps with answer to my problem
I would check to make sure it's in properly; see if it's snug in its slot. (Of course, I'm assuming you're on another computer, and the one with the video problem is powered down.)

If it's in properly, then I suggest taking a look at the slot it's in. What colour is it, and is it different than the other slots in your machine?

danclare

FPCH Member
I would check to make sure it's in properly; see if it's snug in its slot. (Of course, I'm assuming you're on another computer, and the one with the video problem is powered down.)

If it's in properly, then I suggest taking a look at the slot it's in. What colour is it, and is it different than the other slots in your machine?
its all in proplerly and the coulor is blue and yes it is diffrent from one i have can i run the monitor of an identical port at the bk of the tower untill i get the drivers downloaded

JEBWrench

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Operating System
Ah, so you have on-board video as well? Excellent.

Alright, so try updating the driver, as well, if you can go into your Control Panel and go to Performance and Maintenance, then System, then the Hardware tab, and go finally to Device Manager, check to see if there are any yellow exclamation points.

danclare

FPCH Member
Hi
Could also be the PSU that isn't working. Just a thought.
Sorry Is the pc coming on now?
right no it was a mate that told me to use that other port but there is not one grrrrrrrr getting peed now lol god knows just sloted another one in to another slot to try it and that dont work eaither:mad:

JEBWrench

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Operating System
If another video card isn't working in the slot, I'd wager something was wrong with your motherboard.

Though, as maynard says, it could also be power supply. If you'll please be patient, someone more knowledgeable than I will be available to help

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
Windows Vista - Home Premium
You guys are on the right track.

Unfortunately, if there is no onboard video to try, then about the only recourse is to try a different video card. Keep in mind however that the issue can also be caused by a weak psu or a defective motherboard.

This is a long shot, but try pulling out the power plug on the computer and leave it like that for an hour and see if the computer powers up.

danclare

FPCH Member
You guys are on the right track.

Unfortunately, if there is no onboard video to try, then about the only recourse is to try a different video card. Keep in mind however that the issue can also be caused by a weak psu or a defective motherboard.

This is a long shot, but try pulling out the power plug on the computer and leave it like that for an hour and see if the computer powers up.
so will that hopefully power up my monitor to if it works it works when it wonts to and thank u anyway