• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Help - my mouse has gone missing

trickdick

FPCH New Member
Hi

My first post on here - help please!

I have just started my PC and I get the message " mouse was not found" in the startup sequence. The pc then starts but the pointer stays in the centre of the screen.

I am running Windows XP

I have added no new software or hardware, other than a replacement mouse a few days ago, and everything has been working ok since then - that said - I think this is the first time the pc has been restarted since then.

I have looked in the device manager mice are not mentioned at all

Any help would be greatly appreciated - thank you!

danzil

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Operating System
hi there trickdick
we are gonna need some more info here.
is the mouse usb,or ps/2...
is the mouse optical or rollerball......
ok if it is usb can you make sure usb mouse n keyboard support is on in the bios....
also try another usb connection..
if it is ps/2 then mmmmmmmm...try to make sure no pins are bent on the mouse,,,,,dissconnect it then reconnect it and try again...
post back if the above doesnt help/
regards
danzil
ps,,,,,to get into the bios is usuallt the "delete key" or "f2",,,during the first stages of pc boot up ....post (power on self test)if it is ps/s try usb.vice versa

trickdick

FPCH New Member
danzil said:
hi there trickdick
we are gonna need some more info here.
is the mouse usb,or ps/2...
is the mouse optical or rollerball......
ok if it is usb can you make sure usb mouse n keyboard support is on in the bios....
also try another usb connection..
if it is ps/2 then mmmmmmmm...try to make sure no pins are bent on the mouse,,,,,dissconnect it then reconnect it and try again...
post back if the above doesnt help/
regards
danzil
ps,,,,,to get into the bios is usuallt the "delete key" or "f2",,,during the first stages of pc boot up ....post (power on self test)if it is ps/s try usb.vice versa
ps2 mouse - ive tried another mouse and that doesnt work either

rollerball mouse

tried unplugging and plugging in again to no avail

thanks Denzil hope you can help

danzil

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Operating System
hi ya there mate,can you obtain a usb mouse from somewhere,,,maybe a friend,or a shop...no more then a fiver £5 birtish money......give that a try....it may be your ps/2 slot but i would like to be able to rule that out with the usb mouse.........
see the thing is rollerball mice, have a tendancy to break qiute easily..the ball runs along 4 spinldes that have a round pice of plastic on them,,,,the round piece of plastice controls the axis obviously up down left n right,,,these can become kapupt quite easily.
try usb then let me know....
could be hardware issue yet,
regards
danzil