• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

help please guys - power problem!!

PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
Windows XP - Home Edition
hi

i have recently inherited quite a decent targa pc from my girlfriends dad. i have put in my old hard drive to get some info off but after 15-20 mins the pc just cuts off. i thought it may be a problem with the hard drive so i took out teh hard drive that i had just put in but the pc still has the problem.

As i say it just cuts out after maybe 15-20 maybe 30 mins and am at a loose end to what this may be. the fan works as per usual when switched on so any ideas what the problem may be???????

any help is greatly appreciated

lee.

W

Wolfeymole

Hi Lee

Welcome to FPCH

Well it seems you may have a dodgy power supply mate.
Which fan is working as usual, the PSU fan, heatsink fan or another case fan?
Is the box thoroughly clean of dust and dirt etc.

PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
alright mate as far as i can see there is one fan, presumerbly over the processor?

there looks to be abit of dust in the case and within the fan, you recon i should give this a good old clean?

W

Wolfeymole

Get a can of compressed air Lee, preferably with a straw tube attachment and get right into the heatsink fins.
The CPU may be overheating and activating the thermal cutout because the heatsink is full of crap.

PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
ok will get a can but i'm abit of a novice what are the heatsink fins?

cheers

PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
cheers wolfey - will it be sufficient to just spray the fan/heatsink as it is or should i try to remove the fan totally and get all the crap&dust out?

W

Wolfeymole

I would unscrew the heatsink fan all together Lee as the dust could be compacted under there.
The 4 screws will be self tappers but just be careful with them and it will be ok.
Spray the rest of the inside of the pc too mate.

PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
nice one cheers mate will give it a whirl n let u know how it goes ;)