• Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Help please urgent

tasape

FPCH New Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
my casecom atx350 psu has gone pop!
i cannot find another 350 unit only 400 and 500 etc
can i put one of these units in or is it a no no
it has a 20 pin connector going to the mother board
and connectors to disc and floppy (yes Floppy) drives
i need to get asap so pc world is my best bet and advice on which on please

thanks

Match

Free PC Help Tech Member
Basically the important thing about PSU's is making sure you have more than enough power, and they fit your motherboard.
if you had a 350 watt PSU you can replace it with any PSU that has 350 watt's or more :)

if your motherboard has a 20 pin connector you will need to make sure your new PSU has a 20 Pin plug

most modern motherboards and PSU's use a 24 or a 20+4 connector.

if you get a 20+4 connector you can split the extra 4 pins off and just fold them out the way and then just plug the remaining 20 pin connector into the mother board ;)

Starbuck

Admin & Security Team
PC Experience
Very Experienced
My system originally came with a 250w PSU,
i removed this and added a 450w PSU.

Like Match says, as long as the connectors fit (and most will) it will cause no harm at all.

It's like taking a 1.0l car engine out and adding a 2.0l one.
The extra power is there if you need it, but if you don't need it .... it won't work overtime.

Dalo Harkin

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Elite PC Guru
Its not just the main 20/24 pin though, you also need to check wether it needs a 4 pin ATX cable or the 8 pin ATX (these are 'normally' located NEAR the CPU)

Top Bottom