• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Help Please.... Windows Xp, User account and .NET problems..

Wyrdlight

FPCH New Member
Hiya i need some help pretty badly here. I am not a very technical person and so arnt very good with computers so dont make any advice to ard for me to understand.

I am using XP home edition.
I logged off of a account adn turned the laptop off. When i logged on the next day i got a message that stated along the lines of "This profile could not be fully accessed as some setting may be srong or some data corrupted" now i logged on, only half of m icons were gone, as were most of the start menu options, all of my documents and saved word files were gone, my background was gone(the pic i used) and internet explerer ect stated that i had just installed it and needed to set up the settings.... i have no idea whats going on... i have most of the stuff backed up but.... what the hell happend? many games and documents i had dont appear to exist anymore....

I must note that when i turned off the laptop it was very late and i turned it off by holding down the power swithc rather than the proper method... ca it be that this has done all the damage?

My other Login is fine, all is as it was beofore.

I have been having some other problems, .NET (dont realy know what it is) is old but it wont update, when i downlaod the file to update it it wont install or update this in itslef is stopping me using many games ect.

Thanks for any help given

Jamey

FPCH Member
Yes, turning your machine off by holding the power button can be damaging. And, in this instance, it was. See the following page: How to perform disk error checking in Windows XP. Find the section named "Manual steps to run Chkdsk from My Computer or Windows Explorer". Follow the instructions and select 'Automatically fix file system errors' as well as 'Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors'. Then, as it states, restart your computer.

Windows will perform disk checking and recovery. This may recover the lost data files. Microsoft .NET is a framework which lets your run certain modern software programs. Unless you are having problems running other programs, you shouldn't need to worry about the .NET updates.

If Chkdsk doesn't repair your disk and restore the icons, files and so on, your only option is to use your backup to restore your files. It is always best to shutdown your computer correctly. In Windows, you can press the power button lightly once (and let go) which will initiate its shut down process. Holding it down is a forced immediate power down which can cause data loss.