• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

help! please

downi53

FPCH Member
i recently had a computer given compaq D310 it only has a 15gb hard drive, so i bought an external hard drive freecom classic as i am not up to changing the internal hard drive just yet. the computer makes all the right noises and says it has installed correctly, but the computer will not reboot with it installed neither will it show up in my computer. Please has anybody any ideas. I have windows professional installed on this computer. thanks alot:confused:

Tony D

Free PC Help Long Term Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
OSX
What happens if you disconnect the external hard drive (I assume it is connected via USB) and start the machine. Once the machine starts up, connect the external hard drive and check to see if it's listed in My Computer.

downi53

FPCH Member
thanks just tried that and nothing it registers in device manager and even let me check the drivers but it still will not show up

AdvancedSetup

FPCH Long Term Member
In the Computer Management applet you should see one called
Disk Management

Click on that one and then highlight the drive in question and change the driver letter, or assign it a drive letter.
This assumes that the drive has been partitioned and formatted - if not then you need to partition it first, then format it.

downi53

FPCH Member
Thanks that was a great help. Now i have found that my hard drive has got more free space but how do i get it to recognise that it has 40 gb not 20 please

W

Wolfeymole

Right click on the drive in Disk Management Downie and click Format.
Make sure to select the NTFS file structure.

downi53

FPCH Member
thanks again, This site is the best ! It is the only site i have been on where i understand the instructions and can follow them:)