• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Help plz serious boot problem

greydee

FPCH Member
Hi i put serious for many reason one being its my only pc the other being my fiance is in the states no computer no talk , :( the computer powers on ok all the fans start working there are no post beeps the computer just switchs off before windows loads, could you help me plzzz

greydee

FPCH Member
well it powers of just as it hits the dmi during post if thats any help could it need just some thermal paste ?????? there arnt any beeps so im guessing its not a problem with my hard drive i have cleaned the fans and heatsink infact it was working fine till then ? plzz help i know i should of just left it dirty sigh

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
Windows Vista - Home Premium
Welcome to FPH greydee.

You either knocked something loose (like a connector or a heatsink clip), or caused a static shock that burnt out a component.

Double check that the heatsink is tight and check all connections.

Clear the cmos (post) by unplugging the computer and removing the motherboard's battery for 30 minutes.

See how that works out.

greydee

FPCH Member
Thank you seth ive taken out the battery and thingers crossed we will see if that works all the connections are fine i know that much lol i think i know enough to get me into trouble but not enough to get out of it i hope i didnt fry anything by esd i did keep hold of the bair metal but i did detach the heat sink and fan to clean it :( i know the basics did cisco it ess ver 1 and ecdl i know how to build just dont know enough to fix em lol i think i should of studied harder lol

greydee

FPCH Member
i tried the battery its not powering off now but it isnt booting up do i need to retake the battery out ??? when i turned it on after replaceng the battery it came on with warning you have changed you cpu setting ? then blank screened me ? as in the monitor went to stand by mode

W

Wolfeymole

Hi greydee

You haven't had the cpu out mate have you?

I thoroughly cleaned mine this afternoon and reassembled it only to find zip, no boot, nothing.

Turns out I had slightly bent just one of the cpu pins and hence nothing.

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
Windows Vista - Home Premium
That's exactly what I was going to get to Wolfey.

Many people incorrectly pull the HS and rip out the cpu in the process.

grey,

When pulling a HS, you have to gently twist it back and forth as the thermal paste may have hardened like glue over time.

In my shop, I receive about one call a month with the exact issue. A cpu is locked into the socket by a lever, incorrect removal will result in bent pins to say the least...and believe me, bent pins are a PITA to straighten out.

So, did you remove the HS and did the cpu come with it?

Also, you mentioned thermal paste. Did you clean off the TP without applying new thermal paste?

W

Wolfeymole

My cpu was under a cubed heatsink about 2" square, this was lodged in this which was screwed to the board.
The cpu was stuck to the h/sink but not glued thank god.
I had to remove the cpu from the h/sink, lift the locking lever and replace it.
I then had to re-attach the plastic ***embly as above and lock the h/sink in place after that.
It was a nightmare and had my starfish twitching for a moment.

greydee

FPCH Member
lol wolfey,
no the cpu didnt move i dont think circular heat sink that was just attached to the cpu by thermal paste, the chip was locked down in place not in a normal socket had a metal cover before you actualy got to the chip which i didnt touch im looking online to try and find the board name and heat sink but basickly the heatsink and fan was held off the board by four plastic pillars and fit into the board just clipping into the board itself then u turned the pillars to tighten or loosen . i shouldnt of moved the cpu .i may have to plump to get someone into give it a look over

greydee

FPCH Member
I tried removing the battery again and got floppy disk fails,(i havent got a floppy installed) cpu settings have changed,cpu speed not installed save settings in cmos, but it goes blank before i can get into it i can hit del to get into the bios but then screen goes blank before i can do anthing,just my luck i thought i was doing a good thing giving it a clean getting ready to clean up the hard drive then i blow it lol pluss i lost my bank card so im not exactly doing the best lol but since i didnt remove the protective cover should that have been a problem ?

W

Wolfeymole

What make is your pc Grey, is it a branded model or a custom built setup?

Get SIW (System Information for Windows) from here, download it, run it and come back to us with what your motherboard is.