• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Help to locate hidden files being downloaded to my system

Jamier35

FPCH New Member
I really did not know how to describe this problem. At my university we use a file sharing network which everyone on the school's LAN can access and download from. My downloads folder is located on one of my external hard drives. But when my HD isn't plugged in, the files STILL download but they are no where to be found on my computer... AND to make matters worse, my computers hard drive is still losing memory. So basically files are downloading to my computer and taking up space, but are no where to be found. I have checked all other downloads folders on my computer and I have manually searched for the files with no luck. If someone could help me in any way with this problem they would be my savior!! I appreciate any and all help that can be offered. Thank you.

Sincerely,

Jamie

P.S> If this is in the wrong place could a moderator please move it. GREATLY APPRECIATED.

[Title modified by AS to reflect a better description of the issue]

AdvancedSetup

FPCH Long Term Member
Hello Jamie and Welcome to the Free PC Help Forum

Right click on My Computer and select Manage
Then click on Shared Folders
Then click and open the Shares

As shown here:
Shares Image

This will show you everywhere that you have FOLDERS that are being shared out.
Then you can explorer those areas to see what they are or contain.

You may need to enable your folder options to show hidden files and folders to
see the files or folders (not there in the Shares, but in Windows Explorer)

Shares that are hidden will have a $ after the share name. Like My Videos$ then one would not see those shares without a special query that can not be made by someone without Admin rights.

If the shares are not hidden you can also run this from a DOS Command Prompt
NET VIEW %COMPUTERNAME%

Jamier35

FPCH New Member
Thanks for the welcoming, glad to be a member!

Unfortunately, this did not help me :(! Hopefully maybe you have another idea as to how to fix this problem. Thanks for the help!

Jamie

AdvancedSetup

FPCH Long Term Member
Well how do you know for sure that people or software are downloading stuff to your system for sure? What leads you to believe that?

Go into the Control Panel, Add/Remove and look for programs from your school or stuff like Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, etc... basically any type of P2P (Peer 2 Peer) software, or Torrent type programs like BitTorrent , Azure, etc..

You can also go here and download SUPERAntiSpyware and run it. If there are key loggers or Malware on your system it should find it and remove it.

SUPERAntiSpyware.com

Make sure you allow it to update the definition files as well after the install and then scan your system.

Then report back what you find or what SAS finds.

Jamier35

FPCH New Member
Well its not that people are downloading to my computer. It is just like any other P2P software. Its just when I am downloading things it says they are downloading and being sent to my External HD, despite the fact that it is not plugged in. But space is still being used up on my computers harddrive. So it is as if the file cannot locate the EHD so it is just downloading to somewhere else on my computer but I cant seem to find the files.

AdvancedSetup

FPCH Long Term Member
Well then you need to go into the P2P software you're using and look in the PREFERENCES or OPTIONS or similar name and it should be there somewhere.

If all else fails and it has no directory then by default it should download to one of a few different locations.

C:\WINDOWS\TEMP
C:\Documents and Settings\{your profile name}\Local Settings\Temp
or
C:\Documents and Settings\{your profile name}\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files

What P2P program are you using and maybe I can help you with the default path.

On another note though... you really need to be careful. Using P2P and not understanding how it really works is a good way to get caught and get in trouble with the law. I would recommend reading up on it and learning all you can on how it all works and how to find and change settings to be a bit safer.