• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Help Vistawill not boot up

boney

FPCH Member
My sons lap top has Vista home premium, all was ok untill this morning

when we try to start up we get a pop up saying SETUPAPi.dll was not found.

Vista came pre installed .

If you can help THANK YOU .

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
Windows Vista - Home Premium
Hi boney.

I believe that file refers to some sort of infection.

Is the laptop usable?

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
As soon as you turn it on, start pressing the F8 key. A boot menu will appear. Use the arrow keys to go to Last Known Good Configuration then press enter. See if that helps.

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
A 12 gauge shotgun blast has dramatic results:)

Go back to the boot menu and choose Safe Mode With A Command Prompt. At the command prompt, type in rstrui.exe to allow you to access system restore. Restore back to a date just prior to the problem occurring.

If that doesn't work, you'll need a Vista DVD to repair it. Do you have one?

boney

FPCH Member
As i pressed enter the pop up flashed up . have you got a 12 gauge shot gun i could use *

& No I dont have a copy of Vista on DVD it came pre installed . Thanks for your time .

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
No gun, so we'll keep the window option handy.

I don't understand what you mean. Were you able to access Safe Mode With A Command Prompt?

What is the make and model of the laptop?

...back in about 30 minutes.

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
So what happened after you pressed the dreaded enter? :)

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
Continued from above...

So the Acer didn't come with recovery cd's or dvd's? If not, were you ever prompted to make them?

allheart55

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Very Experienced
Operating System
Windows 8 - Pro
boney said:
My sons lap top has Vista home premium, all was ok untill this morning

when we try to start up we get a pop up saying SETUPAP.dll was not found.

Vista came pre installed .

If you can help THANK YOU .
Hello boney, Are you sure it is SETUPAP.dll or is it possible you are seeing SETUPAPI.dll? If it's SETUPAPI.dll, this is part of Windows and is used for installation and set up programs. SETUPAPI.dll is required for Windows to function correctly.

boney

FPCH Member
This is my 15 year old sons lap top He was certainly prompted to make a recovery dvd but he will do that tomorrow !! Thanks once again for your help ill try to get hold of a vista DVD .Ill let you know how i got on .

boney

FPCH Member
Hi allheart55 oops you are right its SETUPAPI.dll but i still cant turn it on .Sorry Seth any ideas ?

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
The lack of a Vista DVD or stock Recovery disks, are an attempt to reduce the cost of the computer.

Not providing a Vista DVD on a new Vista computer is inexusable in my opinion. But, that's the just of the whole computer industry. That is, "money talks", and that's why computers come pre-installed with crap such as Norton and Mcafee. Despite that, if no Vista DVD is provided (grrr), the manufacturers should never give an option to "Never show me this message again" when the reminder comes up to make the recovery disks.