• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Help!!!!!

lizbezeck

FPCH New Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
I have an old laptop that someone has given me for the kids....It is running VERY slowly and I suspect it has a virus but I am having trouble running a virus scan.....any suggestions?

KenB

Administrator
Hi and welcome to FpcH

Is the Operating System Win 2K as in your details ?
If so - I don't know my way around that as well as I should :)

It may or may not be a virus / malware. It could be a full hard drive. It could be short of RAM - or failing RAM.

Let's check the easy things first.

(this is where I am guessing .....)
Start > Right click on My Computer > Properties
Hopefully this will tell us how much RAM ( Memory ) is installed.
Post this back.

Start > My Computer > Right Click on C:\ > Properties
This should tell you the size of the hard drive and how much free space.
Post this information back please.

=============

Which AntiVirus is installed?

What is happening when you try to run a scan?

Do you have internet access with this machine ?

Starbuck

Admin & Security Team
PC Experience
Very Experienced
If it's an old machine, it could probably do with a good clean out.
Give this a try:
It'll run on all Windows OS from Win2000 - Win7

Download TFC by OldTimer to your desktop
  • Please double-click TFC.exe to run it. (Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator).
  • It will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.
  • Click the Start button to begin the process. Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two. Let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • Once it's finished it should reboot your machine. If it does not, please manually reboot the machine yourself to ensure a complete clean.

Also by answering KenB's questions, we'll be in a much better position to help you.