• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Hi, Can't get into my router's webface

spider jockey

FPCH New Member
Was actually looking to find a proper answer to a question about getting on to my Netgear router WGT624scv3 since I stupidly tried to change the password and am now not able to get in :mad:
Friend said I will have to do a hard reset but I would like to avoid having to do so if possible, Netgear were no help, said same thing :( Anyone any hacking type techie ideas :confused:

Tony D

Free PC Help Long Term Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
OSX
If you changed the password to get in the router and don't remember what you changed it to, you're going to have to bite the bullet and reset the router back to its default settings. You have to do the hard reset. That will erase any changes you made.

If you made several changes, you might want to keep trying to get into the router using possible passwords.

If you haven't made many changes, I'd simply do the hard reset.

For security reasons, it's a good idea to change the router's password. You just have to remember what you changed it to.

Poconos

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Very Experienced
Operating System
Once you go through the agony of a hard reset and entering all the custom stuff, save the configuration. Most let you save to a file on your PC.
Al

spider jockey

FPCH New Member
Thanks for the replies, wee question in hope...

Poconus, thanks for that reply. In the configuration file would the password be there? I have the config file from the last save, how do I open cfg files?

Rusty

Banned FPCH Member
Poconus, thanks for that reply. In the configuration file would the password be there? I have the config file from the last save, how do I open cfg files?
You open .cfg files with notepad mate.
Hope that helps.
Cheers
Rusty

Poconos

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Very Experienced
Operating System
As Rusty says try opening in Notepad and if the file is too big try Wordpad. The password is in there somewhere but may be encrypted. Look through the ASCII printable text and see if something jogs your mind. You've got nothing to lose.
Al

Rusty

Banned FPCH Member
I have opened a 1gb .cfg file and it worked. If it is encrypted in it you could find out what encryption is used and get a decrypter. Sorry about spelling

spider jockey

FPCH New Member
Long Thoughts

Hey Guys,

Went to bed and thought long and hard and the password I had changed it to sprung to mind :D ......thank **** :p
Thanks very much for all the replies, nice to know people are willing to help.

Cheers,
Spidy.