• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

How many computers can you legally install windows 7 on?

Barnett

FPCH New Member
PC Experience
PC Illiterate
My uncle is planning on getting windows 7, and i want to know if i can just borrow his copy and install it onto my computer. I've heard the "1 copy for 3 machines" rule from Microsoft before, but will it work for windows 7?

RandyL

Administrator
PC Experience
Very Experienced
Hi Barnett.

You're probably thinking of Microsoft Office because people need it at work, home and a laptop.

For Windows it's one PC for each one you buy. The validation for it can only be used on one PC at a time.

Dalo Harkin

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Elite PC Guru
Volume licences and I cant remenber the name of the other one where if you buy licences for say office 2010 and a new one is launched in say 2012 they dont have to pay again... cant remember, but they apply to corporate only

Plastic Nev

Deceased - sadly missed
Whatever it is known as, I will not take bets on whether it is the same guy.
Barnett, if it was you, the answer is there on Yahoo, if not and this is coincidence the answer is still there as it is here. Buy the family licence then yes you can. If your uncle only bought a single licence, to activate your copy you will still have to buy a licence yourself.
Nev.

BeeCeeBee

FPCH Long Term Member
You guys all have it wrong. You may install windows on 7,342 different computers as long as one of them has a valid windows 98 license. (Oh and you will also need 7,341 other licenses.)

neill10

Free PC Help Contributor
PC Experience
Some Experience
Just as a matter of inerest, do the licences from microsoft cost more or less than buying a new instale disk?.

Match

Free PC Help Tech Member
Just as a matter of inerest, do the licences from microsoft cost more or less than buying a new instale disk?.
Generally they cost less, If you have a dodgy copy of Windows that fails Validation, Tool available from Microsoft update site, you will be given the option to buy a legitimate key from them, but I can't remember how much for? but I think its at the upgrade price ?????

Top Bottom