• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

    Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

    In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

    If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

How to restore overwritten files?


FPCH New Member
Feb 1, 2007
Hi thr, hope you guys can help me out with this problem.

Recently i accidentally save over a previous copy of my excel file and its really important, i need to get it back.
I tried searching around for help and even tried using Norton Goback. However, Goback only works if its installed b4 the overwriting problem occurs.

Are thr any ways to reverse every single data in my hard disk to an earlier time? I am sure the image of the previous excel file is in the hard disk but i need to reverse it. Please help me thanks alot.



FPCH Member
Jan 21, 2006
Telford, UK
It is very unlikely that it is, especially since you overwrote the file with the same name. Operating systems are efficient in that the data space occupied by the previous file will probably have literally been overwritten with the data from the file that replaced it.

So it is in most cases irrecoverable. You could try FreeUndelete but you'll me mightily lucky if you recover that file. Good luck.