• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

I have 2 hard drives

myleswilliamson

FPCH New Member
I now have 2 hard drives C & F . C is the default and is the clean disk but all my information and operating systen for windows office 2003 student, mcafee ect is on the f drive and i cant get it to work. Also i cant find the office disc or the sky disc that mcafee is on please please help as my son needs this for his school work and %th year work and exams

kind regards Myles

maynardvdm

FPCH Long Term Member
Hi
Welcome to Free PC help.
What do you mean by it doesnt work? Can you get into windows or are you having problems accessing drive f? Do you get any error messages or does it freeze?

W

Wolfeymole

If you have copied the Office disk to a folder on your hard drive then just run the Setup executable file from the there. It will install on your C: drive.

Have you formatted or some thing?

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
Windows Vista - Home Premium
Hi Myles.

Jumper the drives to CS (cable select). Take the drive with XP on it and connect it the end connector on the hard drive (ribbon) cable. The other drive will need to be connected to the middle connector.

myleswilliamson

FPCH New Member
Thanks for the replies (info for Maynardvdm)
Error window opens when i try to open it on the F drive.
window message (the operating system is not presently configured to run this application)
Checking out the other 2 as well

Myles

Last edited:

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
Forget about my last suggestion, as I re-read the post and was confused by this:

"I now have 2 hard drives C & F . C is the default and is the clean disk but all my information and operating systen for windows office 2003 student, mcafee ect is on the f drive and i cant get it to work."

By default the C drive has to be the Master drive with the operating system on it or XP would not start. So it can't be a clean disk. I believe you meant it was clean in that it just has XP on it, but all your programs are on the F drive.

JEBWrench

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Operating System
Windows XP - Media Center Edition
I actually took it to mean that the F drive had the OS on it.

Did you purchase a new drive, and install it as the primary master, perchance?

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
I actually took it to mean that the F drive had the OS on it.
Ya, that's what I though too JEB, but if a C drive is showing, then I'm pretty sure the boot will fail if C indeed has no OS.

I think Myles just thought that Office was an "OS":

"operating system for windows office 2003 student".

JEBWrench

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Operating System
Windows XP - Media Center Edition
Let's go with that until there's a clarification.

I've recalled in the past that some software won't work unless it's located on the same drive as the OS; so Office may not run from the F drive.

W

Wolfeymole

It should do Jeb as I have the Office .exe residing on a completely separate physical hard drive.
On an install it will immediately find C: and install to it.
In fact I have all programs in a folder on that drive so I don't have to search the net when wanting to do an install again.

AdvancedSetup

FPCH Long Term Member
Just run this:
  • Click on the Start menu: START - RUN
  • Then type in CMD /K SET
  • At the bottom of the black box you should see the directory of Windows
  • The REAL install is this variable: SystemRoot but WINDIR is also the same
  • Most systems will show either C:\WINNT or C:\WINDOWS
All the Windows 9x systems 95/98/ME must run from the C: drive.
All the NT/2000/XP/Vista can run from any drive

Run the above as instructed and post back what either SystemRoot or Windir say after the = sign. Both should say the same thing.
You can close the black DOS box/window after checking what it says.