• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

IDE cable issues? Not booting up?

Whiley

FPCH New Member
Okay, bare with me, i don't really know what i'm doing but i'm trying my best.

Came to turn on my PC this morning and it was still on from last night and seemed stuck on the typical 'blue windows screen' thing it goes to on shut down.

I restarted via the button on the case.

When it restart it goes straight to the 'apology and menu screen', to try safe mode, safe mode with networks, last known specifications or whatnot, or start up normally - i've tried all options many times over with the same out come, going to the windows loadings logo and blue bar, but it goes black then restarts itself after a few moments every time.

I've not ever really paid attention to the beginning of the load up, but where it says lots about 'slaves' etc [dont know what that means!] it also says that there is something wrong with IDE cable not installed or something! Not sure if this was there before or not, as i said, i've not paid much attention to start up in the past.

Am i right in thinking this could be a problem with the IDE cable or the motherboard? I know they're to do with each other but thats all!

Can anyone reccomend the next step? I feel lost without my machine and i'm pinching my equally clueless partners to try and find a remedy!

Would appreciate any ideas or theories. Might also add that when replying its worth using newbie talk with me, like i said, i don't know my PC stuff all that well! :D

Thank you.

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
Windows Vista - Home Premium
Welcome Whiley.

Did the message say something about the drive needs an 80 pin cable as opposed to a 40 pin? Probably a good idea to replace that cable.

Do you have an XP cd, or know how to get into the Recovery Console? If so, type in chkdsk /r at the command prompt in the Recovery Console to run hard drive error checking. You could also install the hard drive as a secondary drive on another computer and run error checking.

Myself or another member will provide further details if needed, as I'm out of time right now.

Whiley

FPCH New Member
Hi there
Thanks Seth for the help, no it doesn't say anything about needing a different cable, just that its not installed, its an 80 cable anyway.

And annoyingly enough, no i havent got a xp disk :( In this whole 'hit del for setup' option might the recovery console be accessable from there?

Is it worth taking my tower [or whatever its called - please correct me so i can learn!] to somewhere like PC world and get someone to talk me through it and replace things that need replacing?