• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Imminent Hard Drive Failure Message

anfieldmods

FPCH New Member
hi i am getting a mesage when i boot up my pc saying to back up all data as the SMART test is bad and a failure is imminent.does this mean my hard drive is about to self destruct if so can it be repaired or just get a new one.my pc shuts itself down now and again too.would a system restore back to factory settings do anything.
my pc is a hp t430uk
2.7ghz 768mb ram xp sp2
hard drive is a samsung sp1203n ive only used 28gb on the hard drive
any help would be greatly appreciated.
also if i buy a new hard drive they come blank dont they so how do i put an operating system or even my data of mine on it.........

Jamey

FPCH Member
You need to backup your important data and files immediately. The SMART monitoring system is designed to tell you when your hard drive is going to fail. Once a hard drive fails, that's it, you can't repair it - you would need to get a replacement drive. Is your computer still under warranty from the manufacturer? If so, you should inform them and they will replace the drive under the terms of the warranty.

If not, you can purchase a new drive here: Seagate 160 GB hard drive. It costs about £42 in delivery. It is 40 GB larger than your existing drive. If you don't know how to replace the drive when it arrives, there is a useful illustrated guide to replacing a hard drive.

However, you will need to reinstall your operating system, which I presume is Windows. Unless you're machine came with a comprehensive restore CD or a Windows XP CD then you're out of luck. You may be able to contact HP and explain your situation; they may help. Good luck.