• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Increase Font Size on Posts

petef

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Operating System
Windows Vista - Ultimate
Hi all,
I'm new here and a member of many other forums.
First thing I'm noticing is that the font of the posts is a bit small in comparison to
what I'm used to. I think it would help to increase the font one or two sizes in
order to make reading the posts easier on the eyes. I believe it would also
increase reading comprehension if the reader is less fatigued. Especially on
long posts.

I suggest you take a look at a few other popular forums and see
what font size they use.

FYI: I'm working with a 19 inch CRT monitor and 1024 x 768 resolution.

---pete---

W

Wolfeymole

There are several issues in the pipeline that Mike is working on right now Pete.

In the very near future we will also be moving to another bigger and better site.

All we ask is that for the moment in time that everyone bear with us.

AdvancedSetup

FPCH Long Term Member
For the time being Pete you can use quick keyboard shortcuts CTRL + to increase font size in both Firefox and IE and CTRL - to reduce the size. In Firefox CTRL 0 will return it to normal size
IE may have one for returning to normal size but I don't know it right off hand but can be set in the menu.

I'm on 1600x1200 on a 22" monitor but I understand your issue. Generally speaking in most cases the use of ems are preferred so that the user's browser dictates the font size, but some times due to presentation you may or may not want the user to change the font size for some things.

petef

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Operating System
Windows Vista - Ultimate
AdvancedSetup said:
For the time being Pete you can use quick keyboard shortcuts CTRL + to increase font size in both Firefox and IE and CTRL - to reduce the size. In Firefox CTRL 0 will return it to normal size
CTRL+ works only for the current tab that is open in the browser.
It would be a major annoyance to have to repeat that adjustment for each
new tab. The way I and many others probably use the forum is to list all
So doing it that way, it would be quite annoying to have to adjust the font size
in each tab.

---pete---

I

imported_Mike

Indeed 'AdvancedSetup' you are right. Its best practice to use Ems..

For those who don't know...
em: - 1em is equal to the current font size. 2em means 2 times the size of the current font. E.g., if an element is displayed with a font of 12 pt, then '2em' is 24 pt. The 'em' is a very useful unit in CSS, since it can adapt automatically to the font that the reader uses
Source

However, its on my "To Look At" list. When we migrate to vBulletin, hopefully this is something which can accomplished.

Mike.

AdvancedSetup

FPCH Long Term Member
petef said:
It would be a major annoyance to have to repeat that adjustment for each
new tab. The way I and many others probably use the forum is to list all
So doing it that way, it would be quite annoying to have to adjust the font size
in each tab.

---pete---
I agree Pete, that's why I said "For the time being " since the board will soon change to a new version, I'm guessing that Mike probably won't be doing much change to the current software. I wasn't sure if you knew of the shortcut method so I offered it.

Not sure if it's possible, but you might be able to modify a local CSS copy in Firefox to change font size. Take a look here and see if it's of any value for you until the site is switched over.

Customizing Mozilla
http://www.mozilla.org/unix/customizing.html