• Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Installing MalwareBytes

bj43cj47

Free PC Help Contributor
Hi, I'll try to be brief. I've recently had a problem with my Kaspersky Safe Money element. It wouldn't allow me to pay for an item on the 'net using Pay Pal. Disabling Safe Money allowed the payment to go through. So I'm now communicating with Kaspersky to try to solve the issue. It turns out that I also had Trusteer & MalwareBytes installed. Kaspersky suggested I uninstall both these items, which sorted the problem, they said that Trusteer was conflicting with Kaspersky's security & that I should have one or the other, but not both.
Then they said I could reinstall the MalwareBytes. But I haven't a clue which one it was, I think it was on the Laptop at purchase. Advice would be welcome as Googling MawareBytes throws up umpteen sites. But I will be staying with Kaspersky.

Cheers.:help:

Starbuck

Admin & Security Team
PC Experience
Very Experienced
Hi bj43cj47

they said that Trusteer was conflicting with Kaspersky's security & that I should have one or the other, but not both.
I fully agree there.
Trusteer say that their program will run along side any security program.... but it doesn't.
I never recommend Trusteer.... but the banks like to push it.
Most good security programs will do the job just as well... if not better.

Then they said I could reinstall the MalwareBytes. But I haven't a clue which one it was
Have you already removed MBAM?
These are the instructions for removing a copy of MBAM and then installing a fresh copy.
  • Uninstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware using Add/Remove programs in the control panel.
  • Restart your computer (very important).
  • Download mbam clean and save to your Desktop.
  • Please close all open applications and temporarily shutdown your antivirus to avoid any conflicts when running the tool.
  • Locate the file mbam-clean.exe and double-click to run it... Vista/Windows 7/8 users right-click and select Run As Administrator.. and follow the onscreen prompts.
  • It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so (very important)
  • After the computer restarts..........
  • Ensure that your antivirus is enabled and download the latest version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware from Here and save it to your desktop.
  • Now close all open applications including your browser and again temporarily disable your antivirus as before and launch the Malwarebytes installer you just downloaded.
  • When installation is complete....Make sure you re-enabled your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security applications.

Note
The free version and the paid for version (Pro Version) are now the same.
If you only want to install the free version, just UNtick Enable free trial of Malwarebytes AntiMalware Pro on the finish screen and then click Finish.
I recommend that you UNtick this option and just use the free version. (it will save any conflicts with your resident security software)
When you need to run a scan, you will have to manually update MBAM and then click scan.

bj43cj47

Free PC Help Contributor
Crickey Starbuck, thanks for that. I'll try to figure out what I need to do, following your advice tomorrow. But I'm no whizz-kid, so I know I'm going to struggle.

Starbuck

Admin & Security Team
PC Experience
Very Experienced
It seems a lot and probably seems over complicated. .... But it's not really.
Just take it one step at a time and if you have any questions or problems, just post back and we'll help you out.

bj43cj47

Free PC Help Contributor
I really appreciate the time you took to explain the procedure in your original reply. But before attempting to follow your solution, what do you think of the idea of doing a restore to the date before the un-installation of the Trusteer & MalwareBytes, then simply uninstall the Trusteer, leaving the MBAM in situ?

Last edited:

Starbuck

Admin & Security Team
PC Experience
Very Experienced
System restore can't be relied upon to restore programs fully.
You may find that you have errors within the programs.
System restore is really designed for restoring system settings.
So I don't recommend using system restore to add the programs back.

bj43cj47

Free PC Help Contributor
Ok, so here I go into the the unknown world that is PC technology & fell at the first fence!
Clicked the highlighted mbam download, expecting to be able to save to the desktop. Got the usual "do you want changes made" etc clicked yes. Nothing came up to save. Tried a 2nd time, still nothing showing. So now I go to shut down the Kaspersky anti virus & I can not see anywhere that I can disable it, but when I bring up the Kaspersky icon, it tells me that my PC is totally protected.& all protection components are running. Now another query, if that's the case, why did Kaspersky say to re-install the mbam. Am I missing something here, probably.

bj43cj47

Free PC Help Contributor
Hi Starbuck. As I couldn't progress with the download on your post, I emailed Kaspersky & they sent me the download info that was installed prior to its removal. The free MBAM download is now up & running, so hopefully problem sorted. Although I liked the Trusteer download, as it gave me the options to manually protect sites that I visited, I wont be re-installing it.
Thanks again for your help.
BeeJay

Starbuck

Admin & Security Team
PC Experience
Very Experienced
why did Kaspersky say to re-install the mbam.
The free version of MBAM will run with any security software, so you won't get any conflicts.
Plus MBAM is a good second opinion.

The free MBAM download is now up & running, so hopefully problem sorted.
Glad to hear that it's sorted.

Thanks again for your help.
You're more than welcome.

Safe surfing.