• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Installing Windows XP Pro on Compaq EVO Desktop

andy199

FPCH New Member
Hi,

Can you help me with a problem, I have been given a copy of Windows XP pro and a Compaq EVO bought from The Computer Warehouse - ex corporate and Lease stock and have been asked to install Windows XP pro. When installing XP it reports it cant find a hard drive. (It is there and working) in DOS I cant go back any further that c:(Windows) I get a message - not a valid command see HELP for valid commands if I try for a c prompt. I think this is some sort of security feature so corporate users cant just overwrite the C drive?? Can you tell me how to remove this so I can install a fresh copy of Windows XP. The old version on the HD is shot to bits.

Thanks

Andy

Jamey

FPCH Member
It sounds like perhaps the hard drive uses newer Serial ATA technology. Windows Setup sometimes requires low-level drivers during the loading stage in order to "see" any SATA hard drives.

It would've been easier if you posted the model number of the laptop too. Here is the official website for downloading drivers: Compaq software and driver downloads. Compaq are now owned by HP, hence the HP branding - it still lets you access the Compaq drivers.

You may be able to find some advice or a download that will help you install Windows. Have you tried to see whether there is a built-in recovery procedure on the laptop? Usually you can press a special system key during startup to get into the recovery routine.

andy199

FPCH New Member
Thanks for that. The model is Evo D300s Small Form Factor from looking at the HP website. There is nothing other that EVO on the case. Its a desktop unit.

There was nothing on the HP site for dealing with this sort of issue. If I was to take out the SATA drive (assuming it is aSATA drive) and replaced with a ATA do you think that would work? Or do these only work with SATA drives?

Thanks again.

Jamey

FPCH Member
Well, I've just realised something! Perhaps that is the problem: there might not actually be a hard drive in the computer! Often when these ex-corporate machines are sold on, they hard drives are simply removed to avoid dealing with the problem of privacy. Open up the machine and actually see if you can find a hard drive. :rolleyes:

If you do have a hard drive, I would check in the BIOS to make sure the computer is actually detecting it.