• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Intallation of Print Server

Cheri

FPCH New Member
I Purchased a D-Link DPR -1260 USB Print Server for my Dell Laptop and Desktop. My operating system is Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 (On both). I was told I could have my laptop wireless and my desk top hard wired to my printer by using this USB Print Server. I had problems installing the print server so I called the Tech Service for help. The Tech then informed me that I also had to have a Wireless Rounter in order to install and use the device? Other people had told me the Print Server was all I needed. Can any body tell me which it is? Do I have to have a Wireless Router?
Thank You,
Cheri

Jamey

FPCH Member
Hi Cheri

Yes, the print server you have bought requires to be connected to a wired or wireless network. I read this as the first "system requirement" on page four of the manual. It is obviously therefore not a wireless network transmitter (or "hot spot") in its own right, it just sits on an existing network.

Based on this, it is probably easiest to purchase a wireless router. Do either of the computers connect to the Internet?