• Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

internet download speed

Sithlord

FPCH New Member
Hello, I am running a 56k modem on a windows xp home edition. when i log on to my isp, the small window says my speed is only 24kbps, other times it's 19.4kbps and so on. shouldn't it say 56kbps, is there a setting or something that I could change.

Jamey

FPCH Member
The speed that you actually connect at is mainly dependent on how far away you are from your local telephone exchange. If you are in a remote location in the countryside, it is likely that you are so far away from your local exchange that this is the top speed you can achieve. Another factor is that you have a cheap software-based "winmodem". This is a type of modem that utilitizes the computer's processor (rather than managing it itself) and subsequently has much poorer performance than a true hardware-based modem.

One final factor that I am aware of is that, at peak periods, connection speeds are lower due to a high demand for the dialup servers. This is a small factor, though, compared to the other two.

rita

FPCH New Member
Hi all. I have a optiplex gx 110. I want to upgrade my usb 1.1 to 2.0. I put the pci card in the slot. I need to know what it hooks up to inside the pc.

Jamey

FPCH Member
Hi Rita

If you have put the USB 2.0 PCI card into the relevant PCI slot, Windows should automatically detect it and the ports will be usable. What are you experiencing?