• Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Internet Explorer problem?

chris-w

FPCH New Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Hi, I have a problem which I've tried searching around for but can't find any cases specifically similar to mine so I've joined this forum to ask for any help!

I have a list of Favourites and all the links have always worked fine - but now, when I try and access William Hill I get the following error message pop up:

Internet Explorer cannot download EN from sports.williamhill.com.

Internet Explorer was not able to open this Internet site. The requested site is either unavailble or cannot be found. Please try again later.

I first got this message last night, have since tried William Hill from my work computer and it is fine, but it's happened on mine again. There are no reported problems with the William Hill site in general.

When i google William Hill to access the site that way, I get the following pop-up:

Do you want to save this file, or find a program online to open it?

...as if it's something I'm trying to download! This has never happened to me before and I've used the website fine up until now.

I've read various sites online but most people who had the same pop=up as I get were specifically using the Vista Help & Support menu - not a normal website like William Hill.

Does anybody have any idea what is up or why this problem would suddenly have appeared, and/or how to fix it??

I've already tried what they suggest here:

http://www.freepchelp.co.uk/forum/t...nternet-explorer-cannot-download-windows.html

and it doesn't work. I've also already tried deleting all temporary internet files/cookies/history etc and rebooting - still no joy!

Any info appreciated, thanks,
chris.

Last edited:

BeeCeeBee

FPCH Long Term Member
There are a number of simple things you may want to look at.

First, under internet options, are your security settings set higher than Internet? (Ie. Trusted Sites)

If you are using a firewall, is it being blocked in some way?

Are you only being blocked from entering the encrypted area of the site such as your account or is the entire site blocked?

chris-w

FPCH New Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Thanks for the reply. It's the whole website I can't get on to, I can't even access the homepage.

It's not the first thing you suggested, tried that and the security settings are fine, same as ever. Not totally sure about the Firewall or how I'd go about checking that but I've disabled and enabled it trying the website both times and it doesn't work.

Anyone else ever had this problem?! It's really frustrating, hope somebody can help... ?

Chris.

chris-w

FPCH New Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Still looking for help on this, getting desperate now, anybody please have any suggestions??:confused:

Tootech

FPCH Member
Just wondering if you could access it using another browser....

Stop off at Mozilla | Firefox web browser & Thunderbird email client, download and install Firefox.

Can you access the site using Firefox?

Regarding Internet Explorer - try resetting it. Go to Tools, Internet Options, Advanced and the down to Reset, That will reset all IE settings. Be aware that it will also remove any saved passwords you may have.

Also, what antivirus software/security do you use on your PC?

chris-w

FPCH New Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Resetting IE has worked, thanks very much! :D

Top Bottom