• Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Internet not recognised by Ms update etc

sencar

FPCH New Member
I have a newly re-installed XP + SP2 and a cable modem. I can browse the web and use mail via Outlook Express but no-one seems to recognise that I have a connection. These include: Windows Update (tells me I'm not connected), AVG Antivirus update (ditto) and my share price download prog (operates on ports 7000 and 80 but won't download).

I have no hardware firewall and only Windows firewall in software (I turned AVG f'wall off)

Any suggestions please?

Sencar

danzil

FPCH Member
PC Experience
are all necceasry services running,have you tried updating the microsoft updat software, google for it.
are all dll's registered for the updates.lets tackle that first.
how do ou connect to the internet,router,modem dial up etc
regards
danzil