• Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

invalid product key

lfcfan1

FPCH New Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
I recently bought a usb pci card for my mp3 player, because my computer didn’t have one. I installed the hardware and the computer asked me for my system to upgrade to service pack 1 (really need service pack 2). I tried to install that but the computer said the product key used to install windows may not be valid. so do i need a genuine windows xp o/s disc to sort this conflict out?

MS are implementing a number of anti-piracy strateges at the moment, including restricting updates (such as Service Packs) to installations of Windows which pass the Windows Genuine Advantage tool. So yes, basically, you will need an installation of Windows which passes WGA to upgrade to SP2.

I'm sure there are ways to work around this, but I don't think this is the forum to get that kind of information from...

Andy