• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

keyboard not working

lilias521

FPCH Member
Hi
I was setting up my husbands old p.c which ahd been put away for while and was working fine when put away.
everything fine when I get to the part where i have to type password to get on pc the keyboard wont type. all the keyboards are working as i have tried them on my p.c
the keyboard has one of those purple plugs on end and when i plug in lights on keyboard flikerthen go out. I ent to shop and they sold me an adapter to put purple plug into then the other side in to p.c which lokks like the plug u get on mouse a straight one. anyway didnt work i also tried adapter on my pc with keybboard and my pc didnt pick it up. has anyone ele had this problem
many thanks for any help. as i cant get into pc without being able to type password in

W

Wolfeymole

Hello Lilias

Welcome to Free PC Help

The purple connector is called a PS2 plug, may I ask if your mouse is working also?
I'm just wondering if you may have inadvertently plugged the mouse and keyboard into the wrong points, eg keyboard in the mouse point etc.

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
Windows Vista - Home Premium
Welcome to Free PC Help lilias.

The round purple connector is called "PS2" connector, and the small rectangular one is called a "USB" connector.

Are you able to move the cursor and click in the password Window?

If so, (and the keyboard works on a different computer), then there is a problem with the PS2 connector on the back of the computer, or you have it plugged in the wrong PS2 port. Note that you should always have the computer turned off before removing or inserting a PS2 device. Also note that the keyboard PS2 connector is usually the one closest to the edge of the computer case.

If all that doesn't help, put the usb adapter on the keyboard, start up the computer, then plug in the keyboard...it's ok to do so with a usb device. Now wait about 30 seconds so Window's can install the keyboard, then see if you can type in the password.

lilias521

FPCH Member
hi thankyou for help. yes the mouse works fine just the keyboard that wont type, but will type on my p.c ok and i have in right socket

W

Wolfeymole

Ok attach the USB connector to the PS2 connector on the keyboard and insert it into a USB socket on your computer and tell us if that works lilias.

W

Wolfeymole

Ok shut down, remove the USB connector from the end of the keyboard cable so you are left with the PS2 connector.
Plug that back in and restart, then tell us if that works.

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
Windows Vista - Home Premium
Use the PS2 connector, and as soon as you turn on the computer start continuously tapping the F8 key. You should get a menu in which you can use the arrow keys to select Safe Mode then press enter.

lilias521

FPCH Member
hi
thank you thank you dont waht happened there but got blue screen and i shut down and now keyboard working without adapter so may thanks to you for you help lilias