• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Killer Motherboard

Daeinera

FPCH New Member
3.2ghz pentium 4 skt 478 prescott motherboard
ASROCK motherboard
1GB RAM
Radeon x1300 (I think)
300 watt power supply

I built this system about 6 months ago and it's been banished to the cuboard for the last 2 months, as it's killing hard drives. All 3 hard drives that I used were parralel, of different makes, sizes and ages and all were killed in the space of 4 months.
Initially they would pretend to die... such as everything seems fine, then you could do anything from right click to copy and paste something, to opening the dvd tray, to the lastest game and the hard drive would click one or more times, a few seconds later the screen would freeze, the only think to do is to power down and start it up again, which would either start it clicking etc again during the start up process, or tell you there is no hard drive. Initially taking out all wires and ribbons then putting them back again would trigger it to do it again but it wasn't long before the hard drives were terminally dead.
I tried changing the ribbons, the power supply, the hard drives( all 3 of which are now in silicone heaven!), but alas I ran out of hard drives.
As I have none left I can't really try anything else, hense my pc being banished. I don't want to put another hard drive near until I am sure this thing is fixed.
I heard it could be the hard drive controller on the motherboard, but I don't know what that is. I may have built my pc and can handle most software issues I have come up with, But this is way beyond me.

Would appreciate some help

Thanks

Jamey

FPCH Member
The hard drive controller is processing logic built in to your motherboard that controls, i.e. sends/receives data, through the Parallel ATA ports (IDE) on your motherboard. It is likely broken and therefore you should replace your motherboard. Do not put another drive near that machine!