• Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

laptop and win 10

bob12a

FPCH Contributor
PC Experience
Some Experience
My mate has asked me for advice re buying new laptop.
His main use
Banking
mail
general looking up stuff.
15 inch

Should I advice buying one with win 10installed or win 8 and upping to free win 10
Bob

KenB

Administrator
PC Experience
Very Experienced
Hi Bob,

Upgrading had many issues - most of which have now been resolved BUT ....
If your friend wants a laptop with Win 10 on it I would be inclined to look for one that is pre-installed and not bother with the hastle of upgrading.

:)

bob12a

FPCH Contributor
PC Experience
Some Experience
Thanks Ken I will tell him to go that path.
HOpe al well with you.
Bob

KenB

Administrator
PC Experience
Very Experienced
Hi Bob

Win10 does not have "Easy Transfer" I am afraid.

Microsoft has, however, teamed up with the company that produce PCmover - which you can download to both computers for free.
http://pcmoverfree.azurewebsites.net/

Both computers will need access to the internet,

Read this
http://www.thewindowsclub.com/pcmover-express-windows-xp-review-download

The free version is limited in what it will transfer.
My Documents / My Pictures / My Music appear to be the only folders that will be transferred.
After reading the above you may decide that it is easier to do it manually.

It really depends on what your friend wants to transfer.

You could simply copy to a pen drive / external hard drive and then copy them across.
This way you have a backup too.

You could attach the old drive via a suitable device ( caddy / attachment cable ) to the USB port and copy direct from the drive to the new machine.
Obviously this entails removing the hard drive from the old machine.

bob12a

FPCH Contributor
PC Experience
Some Experience
Thanks Ken
I will do it your suggested way

You could simply copy to a pen drive / external hard drive and then copy them across.
This way you have a backup too.

Regards Bob

Top Bottom