• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Laptop battery will not charge. Please any advise welcome

brunoalan

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
Windows XP - Home Edition
I have a tiny laptop but the battery has stopped charging, I have bougt a new one and that will not charge either. Have I altered something in the bios? I am running WindowsXP, any advise would be helpful? I wonder if I need to alter any settings any where?

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
Windows Vista - Home Premium
Welcome Bruno.

How are you determining that the bios is not getting consistent power?

Normally, if the bios battery isn't charging, then neither will the system battery unless you have an unusual motherboard fault.

Whenever you have a power or suspected motherboard problem on a laptop, the first thing to do is unplug the power, remove the battery, and let it sit like that for an hour. Then leave the battery out and try the lappy with the the adapter only. You would be surprised at how often this fixes such problems. It has something to do with the system batteries voltage being temporarily wonky which causes the mobo to electrically "lock up".

Anyway, can you please answer my first question?

brunoalan

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
I am so sorry I may have confused the issue by mentioning the Bios. I only did that incase there was a settting in there to enable to charge the battery basicly whats happened the battery does not charge. I do hope that has cleared the matter, Thanks Alan

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
Ok I understand now.

I've never seen a bios setting in a laptop that toggles the charging of the system battery, but have a look anyway.

Is the battery new? Does the charge light come on?

brunoalan

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
Hi Seth, Thanks, I have a new battery but that does not charge either! there is no light on either the battery or the transformer. It charges from the mains into a transformer into the laptop. the laptop works fine straigt from the mains. I will try your last suggestion Thanks Seth Alan

brunoalan

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
The battery charges through an A/C adaptor not a transformer sorry mate. Thanks Alan

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
So the universal adapter powers a separate charger? Or the charger is a stand alone?

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
All right. Now we're getting somewhere.

Well either the charger isn't getting power, or the charger is defective.

If you have a voltmeter, you can check for power on the input and output side of the charger. It may also have a fuse.

Can you post the model number of the charging unit?

brunoalan

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
It is a HIPRO a/c adapter model HP-ok065b03. But I do think it is at fault as it powers the laptop ok

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
Wolfey mentioned to me that your type of laptop does not have the ability to charge the battery while it's in the laptop. I've never seen one of those. Maybe they've never sold them in Canada.

At this point, the only options are to use a volt meter and check the voltages on the charger, or replace the charger. Note that the input cable to the charger is removable. So plug that cable in and see if you get voltage at it's output (without it being plugged into the charger).

brunoalan

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
Ok Lads, Thanks to you both for your time and patience, but I do not know the model of the laptop, I only know that whem I bought it new the a/c adapter worked the laptop and charged the battery, and when i connect the adapter in to pc know the battery indicater on the pc lights green. I will try your out put suggestions when I get a volt meter tommorow, I have to go know thanks again for your help and advise both Alan