• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

laptop keyboard problem

newcomers

FPCH New Member
hi guys,

having strange problems with my time laptop keyboard (xp pro)

all characters on the left side of the keyboard are fine, but the ones on the right dont work correctly.

if type the letter p, i get -, unless i hold down the fn key which will then let we write the letter p.

Same for a lot of letters, which is really annoying!!!! i will type the alphabet below without holding down the fn key to show the problem

abcdefgh51230n6-qrst4vwxyz

how can i sort this out/

Thanks

W

Wolfeymole

Hello Newcomers

Welcome to Free PC Help

Have you set the input language to your particular region in Regional and Language settings in Control Panel?

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
Windows Vista - Home Premium
Right click on My Computer from the Start menu. Choose Manage, then Device Manager. Click on the plus sign beside Keyboard. Right click on the keyboard and choose Uninstall. Restart the computer and all should be well.

Tony D

Free PC Help Long Term Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
OSX
but really sounds like Num Lock is on. This is usually turned ON/OFF by holding a FN key and some other key labled NUM LK or similar. It will probably be one of the keys alone the top of the keyboard.

My older laptop has an exact match with what he sees when the num lock is on. Could be a driver issue or stuck key, but I would check the num lock first.

Dave

Tony D

Free PC Help Long Term Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
OSX
That's in the BIOS. When your computer starts up, watch the screen. You should see a notice to press some key - usually F2, DEL, F10, ESC, whatever. Press that key and you'll be presented with the BIOS settings, Somewhere in there is the setting to start with NUM LOCK enables/Disabled.

What troubles me is that it changed from starting without NUM LOCK engaged to with NUM LOCK engaged. What changed?

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
Windows Vista - Home Premium
Very interesting.

Maybe it's because I've just never looked for it, but I don't ever recall seeing a num lock option in a laptop bios.

Unless someone has deliberately played with the language settings, I just uninstall the keyboard, then right click to scan for hardware changes. For example, I had a Toshiba laptop in the other day with some crazy keyboard problems. Stuff like pressing "M" displayed a "P", but other times displayed nothing at all. Yes, a little different than this problem, but the uninstall did the trick.

Anyway, thanks Dave and Kelly. I'll keep it in mind for next time.