• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Laptop Won't Boot

icebunny

FPCH Member
:(hi, dunno if im posting this in the right place just hoping some one might me able to help.

my laptop suddenly decided it wasnt going to boot up, it got as far as the black screen with windows xp written on it then just started rebooting again, after trying to re-instal xp it still didnt work so i took it to a repair shop.
the repair shop climed they could not find a hardware problem so just reinstalled windows xp again for me from a boot disc of theirs
(nicely removing my partition so i no longer had windows on it in reserve, and i got no xp disc with the laptop)

after they did this the lappy worked for about a week then started having the same problem, after returning to the shop they were baffled and installed it again for me, it then stopped working a 3rd time.

i now have a refund from the shop but still no laptop that works, it now gets as far as the screen telling me that windows didnt start properly and asking me if i want to boot it in safe mode, how ever no matter what mode i select it just starts re-booting over again, and again, and again lol.

does anyone have any ideas what the problem might be and how i can fix it?

icebunny xxx

W

Wolfeymole

Hello Icebunny

Welcome to FPCH

Not much of a repair shop was it?
They had no right or reason to remove the recovery partition on your hard drive.

What other issues do you think may have happened since it was supposedly repaired?
Did they check the hard drive for inconsistencies?

AdvancedSetup

FPCH Long Term Member
What is the make and model of the unit and approximately how old?

If this is an HP or Dell unit you can probably get a replacement XP Restore disk for $20 or so. I just bought a set for an HP laptop for someone that lost the hard drive (which had the restore on the 2nd partition, which was useless since the hard drive was bad) Got it in like 3 days in the mail.

I would suspect though that the hard drive is bad (or maybe the controller but that's built-in to the motherboard and can not be replaced on a laptop) and it would need to be replaced first. Depending on the make a model again the drive may be very simple to replace or not even replaceable. Typical prices are about $80 for a new hard drive.

JEBWrench

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Operating System
Windows XP - Media Center Edition
If it's an HP, there are several models (looks down in front of himself) that have a problem with their motherboards, and as such HP will replace the boards free of charge for a period of either 12-24 (I can't remember which), beyond the initial warranty.

icebunny

FPCH Member
hi, thankyou for your replies

for the people who asked my laptop is a patriot, was purchased from pc world, i cant actually find a model number anywhere but its 2 years old if that is any use,
for the comments about, getting another copy of windows i have now tried to reinstall windows how ever the lappy is refusing to boot from the disc, i select this option and it says it cant find a disc then starts the whole rebooting problem again.

as far as im aware the repair shop did check the hard disc and i often do disc scans and checks on my pcs also i am not aware of any problems that were on it.

i agree that this was not a very good repair shop only the shop i used and pc world were my only options and after the hash job pc world made of upgradeing my pc i wouldnt never trust them again with a machine of mine lol. which leaves me with limited options now lol

ice xx

maynardvdm

FPCH Long Term Member
Hi

Make sure the BIOS is set to boot from the CD first.

When the pc first starts up press Del, or Esc, or F2 (it is different on some pc's, just check at the bottom of the screen it should say which one to press to get into the BIOS)

When in the BIOS look for Boot sequence(or any thing similar) and make sure the CD-ROM is the first one.

icebunny

FPCH Member
hi thanks for that advice, i checked and all my boot devices were disabled i have now enabled the cd drive but it just says boot media can not be found. please insert boot media :(

maynardvdm

FPCH Long Term Member
hi thanks for that advice, i checked and all my boot devices were disabled i have now enabled the cd drive but it just says boot media can not be found. please insert boot media :(
Does it say : "Press any key to Boot from CD...."

If it does just press any key :)

icebunny

FPCH Member
wolfymole "Can you tell exactly what you did with regard to this Bunny? "

i have no idea what your asking me lol... regards to what??? lol

maynardvdm..."Does it say : "Press any key to Boot from CD...."

If it does just press any key :)".....

derrrrr im not a total moron ya know lol :p
yes it says press any key ... so i did... and then it said boot media can not be found, but i know the disc is fine cos it works ok in my pc, i tested it.

iv just tried using system restore discs before the windows disc but it came up with a great big page full of a message about an error (after making me sit through it loading the discs for quarter of an hour).... which to be honest im not technically minded enough to understand.

maynardvdm

FPCH Long Term Member
wolfymole "Can you tell exactly what you did with regard to this Bunny? "

i have no idea what your asking me lol... regards to what??? lol

maynardvdm..."Does it say : "Press any key to Boot from CD...."

If it does just press any key :)".....

derrrrr im not a total moron ya know lol :p
yes it says press any key ... so i did... and then it said boot media can not be found, but i know the disc is fine cos it works ok in my pc, i tested it.

iv just tried using system restore discs before the windows disc but it came up with a great big page full of a message about an error (after making me sit through it loading the discs for quarter of an hour).... which to be honest im not technically minded enough to understand.
Sorry lol :eek: Sometimes people miss that:p

It is very strange that it does not boot from the CD-ROM.

W

Wolfeymole

Maynard is trying to help you here so please refrain from insulting him by insinuating that he feels your a moron.

You stated that you tried to re-install XP, I simply asked what you did on that occasion when doing so.

Please be explicit to exactly what you did and then we may be able to help you.

AdvancedSetup

FPCH Long Term Member
Do you have access to another computer where you can burn a CD ?

Download these programs to the other computer where you can burn a CD

• Then install the downloaded Microsoft file (MSDaRT50Eval.msi) onto the computer
  • It will copy a file named erd50.iso to this folder: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Diagnostics and Recovery Toolset
  • Place a BLANK CD in the CD burner on the good system
  • Then install MagicISO and then launch MagicISO and select from the menu Tools, Burn CD/DVD with ISO...
  • In the middle of the form where it says "CD Image File" click the little folder icon and browse to the folder where the erd50.iso file is.
  • C:\Program Files\Microsoft Diagnostics and Recovery Toolset\erd50.iso
  • In the other drop down where it says "CD-R/RW Write Speed" choose like 4X or 8X and then click on Burn It !

This will create a bootable Windows CD that has some tools on it that will allow us to test your system.

• Put the CD you just burned into the affected computer that is NOT booting properly and boot from CD.
  • You may have to choose a key to select the CD boot option.
  • Once the system starts to load FROM CD it will try to load up Network drivers, just cancel that
  • Let us know if this disk boots okay - and there are some tools you can use to check your system.

icebunny

FPCH Member
Wolfeymole, i said the moron comment in jest and assumed it would be taken that way, i appreciate that your all trying to help and am very gratefull, i appologise if i insulted anyone in anyway.

in answer to your question, when i tried to reinstall windows i turned on the laptop, and pressed F11 the option to reinstall windows came up, i formatted the drive leaving the partition alone, then followed the instructions to set windows up, it was sucessfull and the laptop worked for 2 days before the problem reacured. i then took it to the repair shop, during that 2 days the laptop was not conected to the internet so i could not have downloaded anything that caused this problem.

thank you for the suggestion AdvancedSetup i will give that a try.:eek:

icebunny xx

icebunny

FPCH Member
ok AdvancedSetup the disc worked to boot the lappy, but from what i can gather its saying i have no operating system on there, im getting confused lol.

ice xxx

icebunny

FPCH Member
ok let me correct that, it did work to boot it once but as it said i had no operating system i tried again and now it wont work lol i have the same message i had for the copy of xp. the message is...

a problem has been detected and windows has shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

if this is the first time you have seen this stop error screen restart your computer, if this screen appears again, follow these steps:

run a system diagnostic utility supplied by your hardware manufaturer, in perticular, run a memory check, and check for faulty or mismatched memory. try changing video adapters.

disable or remove any newly installed hardware and drivers. dissable or remove any new installed software. if you need to use safe mode to remove or disable componants, restart your computer, press f8 to select advanced startup options, then select safe mode.

technical information:
*** stop: 0x0000007f (0x0000000D, 0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000).

im not sure how im supossed to do any of that what the laptop wont boot up, it wont boot in safe mode either, iv tried that many times.

ice xx

icebunny

FPCH Member
ok i had to select F8 to boot from the cd you told me to make, it did work but it said i had no operating system and wouldnt let me do anything just told me to reboot, i rebooted but as it restarted the second time the cd didnt work and i got that long message, 3 attempts later the cd has worked again, the laptop has booted up but it still says it cant find the operating system it is allowing me to do a disc scan though to check for lost volumes..... ( its taking forever lol been doing it for 10 mins now and only on 16%)

yes i do have a copy of xp that seems to work fine on my pc but it wouldnt work when i tried to boot my laptop from it, i was wondering weather to try and install xp on the laptop again now while it is booted up.

ice x

AdvancedSetup

FPCH Long Term Member
Well my guess is a bad hard drive, but any ways...

Take the battery out of the laptop and unplug it. Leave it off for ten minutes.
Then just run the laptop from the power cord without the battery.

Power it on and press the F8 key. Then place the XP CD in the CD-ROM drive and press the space bar when you see the Press any key message.

Then do a clean install and see if the CD sees the HARD DRIVE. If not then you either have a controller, cable, motherboard, or hard drive issue. Probably the hard drive (that's the most common issue).

At this point if the booted XP CD does not see any hard drive to use for installing then it's time to repair the hardware.

icebunny

FPCH Member
ok i think my laptop is officially dying not just poorly lol

installing without the battery didn't work:(

i think its time i gave up and brought a new one:( probably be cheeper than repairing.

thanks for all your help anyway guys, much appreciated.

ice xxxx