• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Laptop wont shut down

Lee

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Hello all this is my first post and I wasn't too sure where to put it. My Girlfriend has called me and said her laptop wont shut down. Shes at Uni so I cant see it for myself but she has a Samsung r60+ laptop and she said when she shuts it down the screen goes blank, but 2 lights stay on and it doesn't actually turn off unless she removes the battery/the battery goes dead. I've no idea to be honest,

Thanks for any help in advance.

Lee.

W

Wolfeymole

Hello Lee

Welcome to FPCH

Well it sounds like Windows is shutting down ok so I reckon one of the lights will be on because it's still plugged in, ring her and ask her what symbol is next to the other light.

W

Wolfeymole

Please do Lee as this could be anything from a bluetooth connection to wireless, although in theory these should disappear once the lappy is shut down.

Lee

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Hello, I've just spoken to her and she says its the main power button that stays on, and a light with an upside down triangle? with it. She also said it sounds like its still on, with the fans etc still running.

Lee.

JaZz

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
hey lee, i had a look at the manual for the laptop and the button 3rd from right is the wireless LAN,but it should turn off like wolfeymole said it should turn off once the laptop is turned off.

have a look at it Download Center SAMSUNG

is the wireless light stay on or does it flash?

JaZz

Lee

FPCH Member
PC Experience
The 2 lights just stay on, they do not flash.

Also about a week ago a few of the keys wouldn't work on it, but that seemed to fix itself as they come back on after a few restarts. Nothing has been spilled on it or no damage to the actual buttons.

I really have no idea, she has made an appointment to have it looked at at her Uni.

So the problem basically is she shuts it down, the monitor goes off, but the power light and wireless lights stay on, and it sounds like the laptops still running, and you either have to let the battery run out or remove the battery to shut it down.

W

Wolfeymole

Is she actually closing the lid when she shuts it down Lee, this is not a hibernation thing kicking in here is it?

It's a bit hard to deal with third party issues.

BeeCeeBee

FPCH Long Term Member
It sounds like Wolfey may have hit the nail on the head. It may be that she is closing the lid and expecting the lappy to hibernate which would give the impression that it is "shutting down." If this has always worked for her in the past she may see it as a failure to actually shut down when she has not told it to.

Even if she does a shut down from the start button the machine will try to hibernate if she closes the lid immediately.

If it fails to hibernate the wireless light will remain on.

Lee

FPCH Member
PC Experience
I know its tough dealing with 3rd party issues so I appreciate any help.

Shes not closing the lid, she is leaving it open after shutting it down buts it staying on. I think it will be best for her to take it in for repair, then see if they can figure out what the problem is, as its just frustrating because she hasn't gt a clue what shes doing.

W

Wolfeymole

Tell her to shut the lid on shut down, if she has the laptop power charger in tell her to wait until the laptop charge is powered so the light is green on the laptop then remove it.

Then get back to us if she still has problems.