• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Limited or no Connectivity - XP

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
Windows Vista - Home Premium
It's on a Dell lappy that was so infected I had to slave the drive. Anyway, the infections were removed and the system runs fine now except for a 169 IP.

I've done all the basic troubleshooting including checking the tcp/ip settings, reinstalling the card, and trying two Winsock chain fixes. The same RJ 45 works on a laptop right beside the problematic one.

I'm running a chkdsk /r on it right now. When that's finished, I'm going to reset the TCP stack. If anyone else has any other idea, please let me know.

Thanks.

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
If the reset doesn't work, I'll try a fresh driver.

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
Well the tcp reset didn't work, and neither did a fresh driver.

I just installed a wireless pcmcia card and that works fine.

What the heck is going on?

Tony D

Free PC Help Long Term Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
OSX
Something wrong with Windows. The infections were too deep and got some place that can't be fixed. I'd try an XP repair. If the network still doesn't work, then backup the documents and reinstall Windows.

The only other thing I can think of is an actual hardware problem. I don't know what you mean by a 169 IP. Are you referring to the fact that it can't get an external IP?

I recently had a laptop in here where the RJ-45 connector was bad. You had to apply upward pressure on the back of the RJ-45 plug to get an Internet connection. This is usually because the connector has come loose from the circuit board. I simply did what you did and installed a space PCMCIA Ethernet card. It was easier and cheaper than taking the laptop apart to fix the RJ-45 connector. This type of fix requires either a simple re-soldering of the connector to the board. If the run is pulled, you have to patch the connection with a bypass wire.

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
Thanks for the reply.

The 169 IP is a default IP when (for whatever reason) Windows can't get an ip.

I'm beginning to think this is a hardware problem as well. Reason being, the wireless works fine, plus the software repairs should have fixed the problem if it was a software issue.

I'm going to try a couple of things mentioned here:

http://www.pchell.com/support/limitedconnectivity.shtml

If that doesn't work, I'll install a separate RJ45 port.

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
Kelly said:
I recently had a laptop in here where the RJ-45 connector was bad. You had to apply upward pressure on the back of the RJ-45 plug to get an Internet connection. This is usually because the connector has come loose from the circuit board.
That's exactly what it turned out to be. I moved the laptop a bit and "limited connectivity" changed to "cable unplugged". I held up the back of the RJ-45 and a proper connection was established in about two seconds.

Man, talk about missing the obvious:)

Thanks.

Tony D

Free PC Help Long Term Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
OSX
now u know - Hardware problem - It's not obvious the first time. Actually it's never obvious. It's just one of those things that experience teaches you. I also see this with the RJ-11 connectors on phones.