• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

lines running through display!!

jolf

FPCH Member
Hello there,

I'm not sure if this is the correct section but here goes,
Please excuse me if i sound stupid, but i am a complete novice at anything technical, i can use the internet but that's about it.
Today all of a sudden i went to my pc and i noticed that the back, forward, home etc icons had like blank lines running through them as does some text on websites and the blue bar at the top of the screen, my desktop is also having this problem, but just with the icons, not with the actual wallpaper background. it is making it quite difficult to read, i haven't changed my display settings in the last week. when i realised the problem i restarted the pc but that didn't do it, i also restored my pc back a day, incase i had downloaded something dodgy.
Please can someone help???!!

Ian.

oops sorry i'm using XP

W

Wolfeymole

Hello Jolf

Welcome to Free PC Help

Try tapping F8 on boot up to get into Safe Mode, in there chose the option, "Last known good configuration"

Get back to us if that does not solve the issue.

Tony D

Free PC Help Long Term Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
OSX
Could be the monitor. Can you swap monitors with someone to verify?

Also - try tapping the monitor to see if that helps. My laptop display doesn't always come up right. I will have horizontal lines running across it. I tap it a few times and it straightens up.

jolf

FPCH Member
Wolfeymole said:
What browser are you running and have you installed any obscure themes lately?
using Firefox, i have downloaded a couple of themes through firefox in the last few days.
I reset it back to default theme, when i started getting probs, and also tried in IE but no different

jolf

FPCH Member
Kelly said:
Could be the monitor. Can you swap monitors with someone to verify?

Also - try tapping the monitor to see if that helps. My laptop display doesn't always come up right. I will have horizontal lines running across it. I tap it a few times and it straightens up.
just tried that but nothing again.

jolf

FPCH Member
lol, i just found out that my graphics card is an ATI RADEON X1300 series so i went to their site downloaded and installed the driver, restarted but all the same :(

edit:
I'm not sure if i should've uninstalled old driver first, i didn't, i just installed new one??

jolf

FPCH Member
ok thanks i'll give them a try.
The most annoying thing, is that the PC and monitor is 13months old, so out of warantee.

W

Wolfeymole

I'm not trying to be funny Jolf but the next time I would recommend buying a pc from someone that doesn't also make Steam Irons.

jolf

FPCH Member
lol, i just thought it was a bit better than currys/pcworlds own make, i thought they're a big company etc etc and they'll be ok.
Just spoke to them, and he says to test monitor on another pc, if monitor is faulty, i may be ok as he says most monitors have 2 or 3 year guarantees so fingers crossed it's that.
i'll let you know how i get on.
Many thanks

W

Wolfeymole

I think the operators advice has already been offered by Kelly earlier Jolf but yes please do get back to us.

jolf

FPCH Member
yes sorry that'll teach me to read posts quickly.

anyway, i have just got back from my mum's, plugged my monitor with my lead and all works fine. so i'm guessing that means a problem with the pc.
did i need to uninstall old graphics driver before installing new one?