• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Low Disk Space notification - removal?

Tony D

Free PC Help Long Term Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
OSX
I have an fairly new HP machine here with Vista Home Premium. it came with 2 partitions. One for the OS, apps, and data. The other is for restoring the machine.

Problem is that when the machine starts, you get a 'Low disk space' notification because the 'restore' partition has only 32 MB free.

I want to disable the notification for the 'restore' partition, but keep the notification enabled for the main partition. My search found a way to disable the notification completely, but not for an individual partition. Any suggestions?

W

Wolfeymole

Can you increase the partition space by say 500MB or a gig preferably Kelly.
Do you have Acronis Disk Director or any other partition software.
Otherwise it might mean a reg hack to stop the notice.

Tony D

PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
OSX
Thanks Wolkey - I have Disk Director and I'm familiar with its use. I just don't want to pull the drive out of this laptop. Besides I really don't want to mess with it more than I need to. If I can't find the fix, I'll leave it alone as the customer hasn't complained about it. I found reg hacks to disable the notification completely, but none to disable it on just one partition.

W

Wolfeymole

I didn't realise it was a customers pc mate.
Ron's the man for deeper hacks, that is if there is one.

RandyL

Administrator
PC Experience
Very Experienced
Hi Kelley;
That computer sounds exactly like mine so I have to ask you something. How big is that partition? On mine its 7.68 GB. Of which I have 900MB free. 6.79GB is used.

I'm curious as to whether data has been added to it that can be moved.

RandyL

Tony D

PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
OSX
This is am HP dv9000. The recovery partition is:

Capacity: 8.41 GB
Used: 8.37 GB
Free 31.9 MB

I don't see that any files have been added to the partition by the owner. There's only one file on it: Recovery.

RandyL

Administrator
PC Experience
Very Experienced
Hi Kelley;
Well obviously HP wouldn't set it up that way so somebody had to change something I would think.

Go to Folder Options>View and select to show hidden files and folders. Also uncheck Hide protected operating system files. Now you should be able to see the rest of the files there.

The only thing I can think of is that someone ran the backup utility which unlessed changed defaults to back up to the D drive. It may not have completed the backup but the files would still be there. I wouldn't think they would be hidden files though.

I'll keep looking into disk management on Vista to see if there are any options to increase the size.

RandyL

Tony D

PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
OSX
Good catch - I hadn't thought about the hidden file. There are 24 files/folders on D:.

They show different modified dates. Some show they were modified today but at a future time. For instance, it's 8 am and some show they were modified at 10 am.

Poconos

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Very Experienced
Operating System
I was under the impression that these recovery partitions are hidden from windows and thus windows wouldn't check and pop up a message. The Lenovos I've set up show a service partition that Acronis sees and can image and manage but windows doesn't even know it's there.
Al

Tony D

PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
OSX
Hi Al - it's different on HP and others as the restore partition is viewable in Windows.

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
Windows Vista - Home Premium
I had the exact same thing occur about a week ago. I can't remember what type of PC it was, but the user set up Norton 360 to make backups on the Recovery Partition. You would think that the RP would be read only.

RandyL

Administrator
PC Experience
Very Experienced
So what are these files and folders kelly? On mine I have 3 folders and 14 files.

You might also want to use the HP Total Care Advisor to see if automatic file backup is running.

Tony D

PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
OSX
Auto backup is not running and says that it has never run.

The folders on the recovery partition:

boot
RECOVERY
SOURCES
System Volume Information
Tools
WINDOWS
$RECYCLE.BIN
OEN Option 1
Portuguese
Norwegian
Spanish
Swedish
HP preload

The files are:
Folder.htt
protect.ed
AUTOMODE
bootmgr
Desktop.ini
BLOCK.RIN
USER
RCBoot.sys
MASTER.LOG
HPCD.sys

This is similar to, but not exactly what I have on my Vista machine. My machine doesn't have the languages and there are a few other differences.

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
Weird.

Any unusually large folder sizes in that list?

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
I'm beginning to think this is a Vista glitch.

Tony D

PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
OSX
There is a folder called preload - that's what I was referring to.

On her machine, the file is 8GM.
On my machine, the file is 4.5 GB.

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
I checked around the net. It's a common problem but the only solution is to disable the notification on all drives.

That's what I would do and show the customer how to manually check free space on the C drive. Chances are, the customer won't even come close to filling the c drive before the hard drive dies anyway.

Tony D

PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
OSX
Chances are, the customer won't even come close to filling the c drive before the hard drive dies anyway.
Good point. Her main machine is a Dell XP. She hardly ever uses this HP laptop. She only uses it when she makes presentations.

Thanks for the research and input.