• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

matrox rtx 100 compatable replacement motherboard

muvverbored

FPCH New Member
Hi,
My computer was built by someone 3 1/2 yrs ago with a matrox rtx 100 video card and a parhelia graphics card & audigy sound card as specified. I have adobe premier pro software installed. My motherboard has now died and I need to replace it but I'm having no luck finnding a replacement....probably partly because I'm no expert when it comes to this kind of thing. I looked on the matrox site and worked out that an asus p4p 800 se would be a suitable replacement but can't get hold of one. Can someone please let me know of a motherboard that I can buy that will run with my matrox set up. I have a 478 socket which means nothing to me but I realise this info is important. I also have 4 hard drives. I'm desperate to find something otherwise it looks like I'm going to have to scrap everything and start again. Fact is, I can't afford to. Any help greatly appreciated.....thanks

Jamey

FPCH Member
The Matrox RT.X100 Xtreme Pro you have is a PCI card, which all motherboards you can buy today have. The Matrox Parhelia card is most likely an AGP interface, which was the most common graphics expansion slot. On most motherboard, you used to have a few PCI slots and one AGP slot. The AGP slot was reserved for graphics card. Nowadays, a new standard called "PCI Express" exists where they are numerous PCI Express slots. However, you can still obtain motherboards that have regular AGP and PCI ports too. Also, the Audigy sound card you have is a PCI card, so that will work in any motherboard.

Judging by the replacement Asus motherboard you suggested, there are dozens of various motherboards that will satisfy your machine's needs as a replacement. Ebuyer.com and Dabs.com almost always have cheap and appropriate motherboards that you can buy. Here's two motherboard on Ebuyer that would suit your machine as a replacement:

PC Chips M952 £19
ASRock P4I65G £31

The first one is a full-sized ATX board with four PCI slots and an AGP slot while the second is a MicroATX one with two PCI slots and an AGP slot. The second one has integrated graphics. I'm just giving you the option here in case you have a MicroATX case, that is - a case which is smaller and slimline that only accepts these smaller MicroATX board. Otherwise, I'd fully recommend you buy the PC Chips motherboard as it is cheap and will do the job well.

Once you've got the board and you've swapped it over, you will have to perform a repair installation of Windows.